Women’s track snatches 12th at All-New Englands

A select group of women’s track and field athletes competed at the All-New England Championships at Boston University this weekend, improving on several season bests as well as solidifying some of their NCAA qualifying performances. Though Williams placed 12th in the meet, the women’s primary focus was on qualifying individuals for Nationals and resting those who already had strong national rankings.

The highlight of the day was the 4×400 meter relay team of co-captain Hillary Higgs ’12, Maya Harakawa ’12, Rebecca Fine ’13 and Haley Stewart ’15, which bested its fastest time of the year, finishing in 3:53.24. The time put them in fifth place nationally, a solid position going into the final week of NCAA qualifying competition. Following this week’s competition, the top 10 teams will be granted an NCAA berth. “It was a good run by them and a big drop off their best time so far,” Assistant Coach Ben Raphelson said of the women’s performance.

Tanasia Hoffler ’13 also turned in three strong national qualifying times, improving upon both her triple jump result of 12.13 meters and her 60-meter hurdles time of 8.86 to move into fourth and sixth place in the country, respectively. Hoffler also duplicated her 5.61-meter result long jump from last week; the past two weeks have left the Eph ranked 12th nationally. Hoffler’s NCAA meet prospects look strong given that the top 15 marks in the individual events qualify for NCAAs. The junior will look to defend her triple jump championship and long jump All-American performance from last year’s NCAA meet.

Karyn Moss ’12 and Brooke Johnson ’13 competed for the Ephs in the horizontal jumps. Neither Moss nor Johnson posted national qualifying marks, but both showed consistency as Moss jumped 11.42 meters in the triple and claimed eighth in the long while Johnson flew 11.33 meters in the triple and 5.06 meters in the long. While Moss’ triple jump result did not live up to her previous week’s performance, she is currently ranked 13th nationally. She also ran the 60-meter hurdles, finishing in 9.52 for 25th place at the meet.

Jenna Adams ’14 cleared 3.67 meters, just short of her season- best pole vault to continue her rock-solid season. Adams is currently ranked ninth in the country.

The shot putters were similarly solid but had hoped for better, as both Eileen Becker ’12 and Amina Avril ’14 threw slightly below their season bests, tossing the shot 12.13 and 12.05 meters, respectively. Avril is currently ranked ninth nationally in the weight throw, but neither she nor Becker will qualify for the NCAA meet in two weeks.

The Ephs next compete at the ECAC Championships at the Armory in New York City on Friday and Saturday and will begin preparation for the NCAA meet the following week. The Div. III NCAA National Championships will take place on March 9-10.