Men’s track impresses at All-New Englands

Men’s track and field sent a small contingent of athletes to Boston University for the New England All-Divisions Championship last weekend. With only eight athletes in the meet, Williams had few opportunities to garner points but still managed to turn in solid performances, taking 26th place overall. The University of Connecticut won the meet with 118.5 points.

In the field events, Rusty Cowher ’12 earned 14th in the weight throw, tossing for 16.61 meters. Cowher will look ahead to Div. III National Championships in two weeks. Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 vaulted to 4.60 meters and a ninth-place finish.

In the 60-meter hurdles, Chris Fogler ’13 and Jabulani Blyden ’13 just missed the finals but still posted swift times of 8.53 and 8.59 to finish in 12th and 15th, respectively. Richard Fusco ’12 charged to a 16th-place finish in the 400 meter in 49.63. Fusco’s result marked an improvement upon his season-best time.

The highlight of the meet was the 4×400 relay team of Fusco, Blyden, Fogler and Tomas Kearney ’12. Running in the third heat, the group finished in 3:15.71, winning the heat and placing fifth overall with a time sure to qualify the group for Nationals. Head Coach Fletcher Brooks commented on this relay’s impressive performance. “[It was] pretty simple,” he said. “They were the top Div. III team at the championships, placing sixth overall, and they are currently ranked second in Div. III. This is the second-fastest time in school history.”

The men will send a larger group to the ECAC Championships hosted at NYU this weekend.