Wrestling prepares for NEWA championships

Two Williams wrestlers competed at last weekend’s NEWA Futures Tournament held at Roger Williams in Rhode Island. Meanwhile, the remainder of the team is busy gearing up for this weekend’s NEWA Championships.

Dan Evangelakos ’15 competed in the Futures tournament in the 133 lb. weight class. In his first match of the day, he fell to Derek Adams of Springfield, as Adams pinned Evangelakos 2:36 into the match. In the consolation bracket, Evangelakos came back to win his match over Scott Carpenter of WPI. Evangelakos pinned Carpenter at 6:00 minutes. However, the next match proved to be too much for the Eph: He lost to Sean McCallister of Western New England in an 11-1 major decision.

Adam Datema ’15 also competed in the tournament last weekend. Wrestling at 285 lbs., Datema won his first round over Austin Frank from Wesleyan in a 5-3 match. However, Datema succumbed to Michael Cyr of Trinity in the next round in a tough 10-5 loss. In the consolation bracket, Datema pinned Jacob Sheffer of Wesleyan 4:21 but ultimately lost the match 5-2.

“Dan and Adam both had solid performances this past weekend,” co-captain Ces Antista ’13 said. “With that being said, I don’t think either of them reached their goals. It just goes to show that they have to work hard this off-season and get better for next year.”

The rest of the team is preparing for the NEWA Championships, which will be held on Saturday at 10 a.m. at Wesleyan.

The team has been working hard to prepare for the upcoming championships. “Wrestling is a grinding sport, so a lot of teams usually fade at the end,” Antista said. “I have been telling the guys to push through these last few weeks. Wrestling at the New England tournament is a privilege.”

Speaking on the team goals for this upcoming weekend, Antista was optimistic that a number of his teammates would perform well. “Hopefully we have a couple of guys wrestling who achieve All-New England status, as well as punch one or two guys through to the national tournament in Wisconsin,” he said.

“Individual goals vary on people’s abilities,” Antista continued. “Personally, I have one thing on my mind and that is standing on top of the podium again. I think all of the things that need to be done to win New Englands have been accomplished throughout the year, with consistently working hard and keeping the right attitude. Now it is all about being smart this week and staying calm and collected at the tournament.”