Skiing speeds to 5th at home carnival

Skiing captured fifth place in last weekend’s home carnival on the strength of a number of individual podium finishes.

Laurel Carter ’12 won the women’s slalom last weekend at Jiminy in a combined time of 1:35:31. - Cory Ransom

The alpine teams raced at Jiminy Peak, while the nordic teams traveled to Craftsbury, Vt., to find suitable racing conditions. Williams scored 569 points, while first-place finisher Dartmouth totaled 869 points.

In the women’s giant slalom on Saturday, Geordie Lonza ’13 ripped two spectacular runs. After clocking in with a total time of 1:49:28, she claimed third place overall for Williams. Sarah Cottrill ’15 wasn’t far behind, and after roaring down the peak, the rookie snagged seventh, a personal-best finish on the collegiate circuit. Laurel Carter ’12 also posted solid results and raced into 12th. Shannon Campbell ’14 and Annie Leiter ’13 laid down two respectable runs each, taking home 14th and 25th, respectively. Williams finished second in the giant slalom, only four points behind frontrunner UNH.

On the men’s side, Victor Major ’15 surged ahead to claim 28th in the giant slalom after finishing his runs in 1:48:76. Though Major was the men’s only skier to successfully complete two runs in the giant slalom, the men placed 10th overall in the event.

Also on Saturday, the nordic teams kicked off competition in Vermont. Captain Dimitri Luethi ’12 turned in a stellar 10k classic to take home third with a time of 26:53. Vanya Rybkin ’15 and Ian Nesbitt ’13 finished in 25th and 27th place, respectively. Nesbitt made a great recovery after falling to 46th halfway through the race, ultimately surging ahead of a pack of skiers to improve his placement by almost 20 slots. Phil Tosteson ’13, Isaac Hoenig ’14 and Erik Anderson ’12 finished in 33rd, 43rd and 47th place, respectively. After a collection of great runs, the men’s team claimed fourth with 170 points, the best result the men have posted all season.

Representing the women’s nordic team in the 10k classic, Christina Knapp ’13 catapulted to 27th and finished her run in 34 minutes. Elena Luethi ’15 was close behind, finishing only 10 seconds after Knapp to claim 30th. Holly Whitney ’12, Kristin Halvorsen ’14 and Hannah Smith ’15 took home 40th, 43rd and 47th, respectively. The women’s team accumulated 95 points, placing ninth overall.

Due to a lack of snow, Sunday’s cross-country events were canceled, and the nordic teams only competed in the 10k classic.

In the women’s slalom, Carter set the pace with an overall time of 1:35:31, blazing to top of the field. Lonza came in right behind her, taking second in a time just one second off her teammate’s. The duo earned the team 97 points. Leiter, Cottrill and Campbell claimed 10th, 14th and 18th, respectively. The women finished first in the slalom with 130 points, an impressive 27 points ahead of second-place Bates.

“It was fun to get to be on our home hill, and the energy and support was amazing,” Carter said. “All the girls really stepped up this weekend and performed well. It was exciting to see the girls ski so fast and have the results fall into place.”

In the men’s slalom on Saturday, Major topped the results board for the Ephs, seizing 25th. Nicolas Tomczyk ’13 claimed 37th with a time of 1:40:16. Whitney Mikell ’12 finished five seconds later, taking home 46th. Dylan Thomas ’15 and Carson Houle ’15 finished 50th and 51st, respectively. The men’s team placed ninth overall in the slalom.

The team will travel to Middlebury this weekend to compete in the Middlebury Carnival on Friday and Saturday.