Men’s track blazes to 4th at Div. III New Englands

Men’s indoor track and field took fourth place in the Div. III New England Indoor Championships last Friday and Saturday at Springfield. Williams scored 76 points in the meet. Bates took home its first title in the program’s history, scoring 103 points. MIT and Tufts also finished ahead of Williams with 95 points and 89 points, respectively.

On Saturday, Chris Fogler ’13 racked up points for the Ephs in the 60-meter hurdles, taking fifth place in 8.60 seconds. Jabulani Blyden ’13 took second in the event, turning in a time of 8.36 seconds to score eight points for the men.

Blyden came back in the 600 meter and earned third place with a time of 1:22.04. Jared Nowell ’15 and Emmanuel Daring ’15 each scored points for the Ephs in the 200 meter, taking fifth and seventh places, respectively. Nowell finished in 23.02 seconds, while Daring finished in 23.27 seconds.

In the field events, Rusty Cowher ’12 continued his top form with a third-place finish, turning in an 18.17-meter effort in the weight throw. Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 leaped to fourth place in the pole vault, garnering a 4.55-meter result. Finally, Tomas Kearney ’12 claimed fifth in the triple jump with a distance of 13.97 meters.

Captain Anthony Raduazo ’12 led the team in the distance events, taking third place in the 5000 meter with a blistering time of 15:02. Brandon Abasolo ’13 finished close behind, seizing fifth in 15:06. Cole Townsend ’15 improved on his season best in the 3000, finishing in fourth in 8:34.

In the relays, the 4×400 team of Nowell, Daring, Blyden and Richard Fusco ’12 sprinted to second place in 4:24.89, finishing just behind the first-place team from MIT. The distance medley relay squad of Ben Schneider ’15, James Marvel-Coen ’15, Eric Schneider ’15 and Postyn Smith ’15 ran to sixth place in a time of 10:37.

Fogler catapulted Williams to an early lead, capturing the heptathlon title on Friday. He won four of the seven events, including the 60 meter, 60-meter hurdles, the long jump and the shot put. Overall, Fogler scored 4433 points to inch past Bobcat David Hardison, who tallied 4403 points.

Despite strong individual performances, the Ephs’ best efforts were ultimately not enough to garner a top-three spot in New England.

“The men competed and supported each other from start to finish and in the end, scored more points than they were supposed to,” Head Coach Fletcher Brooks said. “We also had some outstanding personal-best and NCAA-ranking performances.”

Despite strong individual performances, “no one felt good about our team finish at the conclusion of the meet,” Brooks said.

The men will travel to Boston University this weekend for the New England All-Division Championship. The team will be focused on posting qualifiers for the Div. III NCAA Championship meet in March.