Meal plan totals drop for spring

Following the meal plan adjustment period, Dining Services has compiled its final numbers for the spring semester student meal plan changes. Similar to the drop-add trends of previous years between fall and spring semesters, the total number of students on the 21-, 14- and 10-meal plans has dropped, while the number of students on the five-meal and 50-block plans has increased. The overall numbers from both semesters this year are slightly lower than the corresponding numbers from last year.

The number of students on the 21-meal plan dropped from 1276 to 1209 between fall and spring semesters. The drop for the 14-meal plan was 134 to 118, and from 417 to 410 for the 10-meal plan. The number of students on the 21-meal plan is always the highest, largely because the entire first-year class is required to register for this plan. The 10-meal plan continues to have more subscribers than the 14-meal plan.

The number of students that signed up for the five-meal and 50-block plans saw an increase. The number of students on the five-meal plan has increased from 57 to 79, and one more student is on the 50-block plan this semester than last, yielding a total of 23 students. Both the five-meal plan and the 50-block plan are options only for seniors. The total number of students on all meal plans dropped from 1912 to 1845 between first and second semester this year. Only students living off-campus are permitted to eliminate their meal plans entirely.

More significant to note was that the students on the 21-, 14- and 10-meal plans during their fall semester chose to stay on those respective plans, which suggests that students studying abroad were a major cause of the drop in total meal plan numbers. Students not on campus are unaccounted for in these statistics, and it is evident that a greater number of students study abroad spring semester than during the fall.

Dining Services consistently sees fluctuation between the varying plans, but changes from fall meal plans and spring meal plans this year showed overall lower numbers than previous years. This spring showed more than a 100-student drop from spring 2010, from 1972 students on meal plans to 1845 students. This fall showed a smaller drop compared to meal plans in fall 2010: In fall 2010, 1924 students were on some sort of meal plan, while only 1912 students subscribed to meal plans this fall.