Women’s track speeds to top times in Boston

Last weekend, women’s indoor track and field competed in both the MIT Coed Invite on Saturday and the Boston University Valentine Invitational on Friday. The meets were non-scoring but served as the final opportunities for the women to qualify for Div. III New Englands, which will take place this weekend.

At MIT, the women had a strong day in the jumps. Tanasia Hoffler ’13 and Brooke Johnson ’13 finished first and second, respectively, in both the long and triple jumps. Both improved upon their previous season bests in the triple jump, with Johnson leaping 10.98 meters and Hoffler flying 11.77 meters. Hoffler’s mark vaulted her to fifth in the country in the event. Julie Paschal ’13 improved in the high jump, clearing 1.57 meters for second place, while Jenna Adams ’14 pole-vaulted 3.65 meters for first.

In the throws, Amina Avril ’14 improved on her season best in the shot put to take first, launching her shot 12.24 meters. Eileen Becker ’12 came in second with a 12.13-meter throw. The Ephs dominated in the weight throw, with Avril taking first with a 16.71-meter toss and Kathryn Evans ’12 taking second after throwing for 14.76 meters.

In the 55 meter, Haley Stewart ’15 took third in 7.51, Hillary Higgs ’12 claimed fourth in 7.55 and Hoffler earned fifth in 7.56. Hoffler and Stewart returned in the 200 meter to take first and second in 26.54 and 26.74, respectively. The 4×400 team of Maya Harakawa ’12, Ashley Graves ’15, Rebecca Fine ’13 and Dianna Meija ’15 claimed first in 4:07.80.

The team made more breakthroughs at Boston University on Friday. Higgs qualified for Div. III New Englands in both the 400 meter in 58.43 and the 200 meter in 25.70. Harakawa finished close behind in the 400 meter in a personal-best time of 58.97. Graves ran the 200 meter in 27.37 and recorded a strong 500 meter in 1:20.92.

In the distance events, Chiara Del Piccolo ’14 ran a solid 3000 meter in 9:58.66, while Brianne Mirecki ’14 ran a personal best of 4:56.19 in the mile to improve to No. 3 nationally. Del Piccolo was recently named Div. III Scholar Athlete of the Year by the USTFCCCA.

“There were strong performances last weekend that gave us confidence for Div. III New Englands this weekend,” co-captain Karyn Moss ’12 said. “We are hoping to beat MIT, our biggest competitor.”

Div. III New Englands and Pentathlon will be held at Smith this weekend. Events begin at 4 p.m. on Friday and 11 a.m. on Saturday.