Skiing snags 5th at UVM

Last weekend,  alpine and nordic competed at the Dartmouth Carnival in New Hampshire.

Christina Knapp ’13 was the women’s top finisher in the 5k freestyle, coming in 33rd place in Friday’s competition. Photo courtesy of Aubrey Smith.

Williams took home fifth place overall with a score of 548 points, while UVM claimed top honors at the carnival.

On Saturday, the alpine teams competed in the slalom. Laurel Carter ’13 ripped off a pair of strong runs, propelling her to fourth place. Geordie Lonza ’13 took fifth, finishing just behind her teammate after a lightning-quick second run. Sarah Cottrill ’15 catapulted to 12th place with a strong second run. Women’s alpine placed second overall on the weekend.

“Our women have had seven top-three finishes in eight events, with two wins and three second[-place finishes this season],” Head Coach Ed Grees said. “This is hands down the best results from any alpine team at Williams during my tenure.”

The alpine men also saw success in the slalom. Sean Cummiskey ’12 and Chris Nocek ’13 raced to 27th and 28th, respectively. Finishing on their heels was rookie Dylan Thomas ’15, who took home 34th place. The alpine men finished seventh on the weekend.

“The men struggled in the giant slalom but rebounded and showed good determination to put all six across the finish in the first run of the slalom,” Grees said.

In the 15k classic mass start, Christina Knapp ’13, Kristen Halvorsen ’14 and Hannah Smith ’15 finished 25th, 28th and 29th, respectively. Halvorsen finished the race in a personal-best 52:02, and Knapp pulled in just 16 seconds ahead of her teammate. The women’s nordic squad finished the carnival in seventh place.

On the men’s side, captain Dimitri Luethi ’12 finished 12th in the 20k classic mass start with an impressive time of 59:43. Will Wicherski ’15 came in 22nd place in 1:00:48, followed by Vanya Rybkin ’15 in 24th with a time of 1:01:03. Ian Nesbitt ’13 came in 29th to round out the Ephs’ scoring squad. The nordic men took fifth place as a team on the weekend.

Alpine kicked off the carnival on Friday with the giant slalom. Lonza led the women with a third-place finish, earning her team 44 points. Carter rushed down the mountain to earn ninth place, followed closely by Campbell in 10th. Cottrill raced to 20th place to round out the women’s scoring.

Carson Houle ’15 turned in the men’s top result in the giant slalom, banking 18 points for his team with a 30th-place finish. Victor Major ’15 was not far behind in 36th. After a strong first run, Cummiskey could not finish his second, leaving the men with only two results on the day.

In Friday’s 5k freestyle, Knapp led the women with her 33rd-place finish. Smith was in hot pursuit, snaring 35th place. Halvorsen was the Ephs’ final scorer in the event and earned 39th.

Williams turned in an impressive performance in the men’s 15k freestyle race on Friday. Rookie Wicherski led a pack of Ephs with his 15th-place finish. He was closely followed by Luethi in 16th and Isaac Hoenig ’14 in 17th. Rybkin turned in a 21st-place result, while Nesbitt rounded out the men’s scoring in 29th.

Skiing will next compete at its home slope, Jiminy Peak, this Friday and Saturday at the Williams Carnival.

• This article was well written brother, but we all know that the Jeffs are #1!