Women’s squash ends NESCAC run in semis

Women’s squash (11-12, 6-2 in the NESCAC) traveled to Trinity on Saturday in pursuit of the NESCAC championship. Despite a quarterfinal win over Amherst, the third-seeded women fell 5-4 to Bates in the semifinals. The squad finished the tournament in fourth following a close 5-4 loss to Middlebury in the consolation match on Sunday. Prior to the NESCAC tournament, the women had won four of their last six matches.

The women faced Amherst in the NESCAC quarterfinals on Saturday. Despite sitting top-three player and co-captain Courtney Bogle ’12, the Ephs managed an impressive 9-0 sweep of the Jeffs. The win featured three-game victories for Alli Rubin ’13, Laura Henry ’13, Ellie O’Neill ’15, Caroline Sawin ’15, Hannah Kaemmer ’13, co-captain Carolyn Kaemmer ’12 and Eliana Saltzman ’12. At the third spot on the ladder, Alyssa Northrop ’14 faltered in her first game 11-6 before rebounding to take the next three games in quick succession. Mia Fry ’13, playing in the eighth spot, also took her match in four games.

The women faced Bates in the semifinals later on Saturday. Wins from O’Neill and Carolyn Kaemmer brought the Ephs within sight of victory. At the top of the ladder, Bogle played impressive squash, coming back from a first-game loss to take two close victories in the second and third. Unable to maintain the momentum, Bogle dropped her fourth and fifth games 11-7 and 11-8, respectively. At No. 2, Rubin fought to the end, taking the first and fourth games before falling 11-4 in the fifth. Four-game losses for Hannah Kaemmer and Fry and a five-game loss for Carolyn Kaemmer finalized a 5-4 victory for the Bobcats, sending the Ephs to the consolation round.

Despite the loss, Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 was pleased with the team’s performance. “The semifinal match versus Bates was one of the best college matches I have coached in 10 years,” he said. “The team played really well, and it went down to the last game of the match.”

On Sunday, the women faced Middlebury in the consolation round.At the top of the ladder, Bogle suffered a close three-game loss, while Rubin and Henry both pushed their opponents to five before conceding. At the middle of the ladder, the women got impressive four-game wins for Northrop, O’Neill and Sawin and a contentious three-game win for Hannah Kaemmer. After losing at Nos. 8 and 9, Williams came home with a fourth-place finish.

On Jan. 29, the women picked up a 7-2 win in New York when they took on Columbia. On Jan. 28, the squad traveled to Wesleyan to compete in the Little Three tournament. Facing Wesleyan first, the women powered to a commanding 9-0 win without dropping a single game. Later that day, the women tackled Amherst, surging to a 9-0 win and claiming their 12th consecutive Little Three title.

On Jan. 22, the women overcame rival Middlebury in a 5-4 nail biter. On Jan. 21, the women fell 7-2 to Dartmouth, and on Jan. 20, the women fell 6-3 to 11th-ranked Brown.

The women will host Mount Holyoke at 12 p.m. and St. Lawrence at 4 p.m. on Saturday.