Men’s track claims 3rd at Springfield

Men’s indoor track and field seized third place at the Springfield Invitational last weekend, where Amherst claimed the top spot. On Friday, Chris Fogler ’13 traveled to Tufts to compete in the heptathalon. He placed second, gaining 4441 points and finishing behind Southern Connecticut State’s Nick Lebron, who topped the competition with 4946 points. On Jan. 27, the men earned a 10th-place finish in the Donahue Games at Northeastern. The University of Connecticut claimed top honors at the Donahue Games, which featured strong Div. I competition. The men also competed in a non-scoring meet at Hamilton on Jan. 21. In these three meets, the Ephs compiled a number of qualifiers for the Div. III New England Championships, which will be held on Feb. 18.

At the Springfield Invitational on Saturday, the team claimed third and a number of individuals earned multiple postseason-qualifying times. In the sprints, Jared Nowell ’15 took third in the 60 meter in 7.25 seconds. He later snared fourth place in the 200 meter in 23.55 seconds. Co-captain Rich Fusco ’12 continued his strong form in the 400 meter with a second-place finish in 50.78 seconds. Jabulani Blyden ’13 and Emmanuel Daring ’15 finished close behind in 51.82 and 52.67 seconds, taking fourth and seventh, respectively. Laye Samoura ’15 seized third place with an outstanding effort in the 60-meter hurdles, clocking in at 8.79. Ben Schneider ’15 and Steve Mendoza ’13 both scored for the Ephs in the distance events. Schneider ran to fourth in the 800 meter in 2:00.26, a personal best effort. Mendoza took fifth in the 5000 meter in 16:08, an impressive time on a slow Springfield track.

Demarius Edwards ’14 had a strong showing in the high jump, posting a 1.86-meter result for second place. Tomas Kearney ’12 turned in an impressive performance: The senior claimed first in the triple jump with a 13.83-meter mark and took second in the long jump in 6.77 meters.

“Tomas Kearney had a standout day,” Assistant Coach Ben Raphelson said. “He improved his long jump seasonal best by nearly a foot and his triple jump by a similar margin. His marks rank among the top in New England.”

Co-captain Rusty Cowher ’12 placed first in both the weight throw and the shot put, throwing 17.56 meters in the weight and 14.26 meters in the shot.

“Regional qualifying marks by Demarius Edwards in the high jump and Laye Samoura in the 60-meter hurdles continue to fill out the squad heading into the New England Div. III Championships in two weeks,” Raphelson said. “Most of the distance squad had this weekend off, but with them factored in, it’s shaping up to be a well-rounded team.”

Fogler is continuing to transition from the pentathalon, which has two fewer events than the heptathalon, but the junior still impressed with a second-place finish. He earned 4441 points and came in just behind top finisher Lebron. The Southern Connecticut State competitor won the heptathlon with 4946 points.

On Jan. 27 at the Donahue Games, the men emerged in 10th place against strong Div. I competition. In the 200 meter, Daring, Fusco and Nowell posted quick times to take ninth, 13th and 14th places, respectively. Fusco also competed in the 400 meter, improving his time to 51.19 and finishing in 11th.

Blyden earned second in the 500 meter in 1:05.93. The Eph also placed 10th in the 55-meter hurdles in a time of 8.11 seconds. In the 1000 meter, the mid-distance squad recorded breakout performances from Tommy Gaidus ’13 and Andy Morgosh ’12, who placed 10th in 2:34.02 and 13th in 2:35.39, respectively. Postyn Smith ’15 also had a strong race, placing 14th in a time of 2:36.07. Nick Wolf ’14 followed the rookie, placing 18th in a time of 2:37.53.

The distance team had great races in both the mile and 5000 meter. Cole Townsend ’15 built on an impressive start to the year with an eighth-place finish in the mile with a time of 4:15.84, followed by Josephat Koima ’12 in 15th with a 4:19.06 result. Brandon Abasolo ’13 and Anthony Raduazo ’12 both had impressive races in the 5k, finishing in sixth and 10th place, respectively.

The field team showed progress, with Johnny Ray Hinojosa ’13 vaulting to eighth place in a jump of 4.27 meters. Kearney finished 12th in the long jump with a 6.49-meter mark. He came back to take 10th in the triple jump with a 13.32-meter leap. In the weight throw, Cowher and Syvad Young ’12 continued their strong form. Cowher took second with a throw of 17.29 meters, and Young claimed ninth with a 14.53-meter toss.

At Hamilton on Jan. 27, the field core took center stage. Cowher won the shot with a throw of 13.87 meters and the weight with a throw of 17.28 meters. Young set personal records in both the shot and the weight, earning second in the shot at 13.51 meters and third in the weight at 15.76 meters.

On the track, Blyden won the 60-meter hurdles in 8.45 seconds, followed by Fogler, who secured third place in 8.76 seconds. Blyden also won the 400 meter in 51.70 seconds. Daring had a breakout race in the 400 meter, finishing second in 51.86 seconds, while Fusco took fourth in 51.95 seconds. Both Matthew Wyatt ’12 and Koima earned championship-qualifying times in the 3000 meter, working together for much of the race to gain fourth and fifth places in 8:53.51 and 8:54.07, respectively.

The men will send contingents to both the Valentine Invitational at Boston University and the MIT Coed Invite this Saturday. The Valentine Invitational kicks off at 9 a.m., and the Coed Invite will begin at 12 p.m.