Field core propels Ephs to 2nd

Women’s indoor track and field had a strong second-place finish at Springfield last weekend, with multiple women earning national championship-qualifying marks. The women scored 158 points, coming in second to Springfield’s 175. On Jan. 27, the women took seventh in the Donahue Games, earning 43 points and compiling several qualifying times. Brown took top honors in the meet with 118.33 points. On Jan. 21, Williams also competed in the unscored Continental Invitational at Hamilton.

In Saturday’s meet, Amina Avril ’14 set a personal best of 17.35 meters to take second in the weight throw; the mark propelled the sophomore to fifth place nationally in the event. Teammate Kathryn Evans ’12 took third with a throw of 13.26 meters. Avril also took second in the shot with a throw of 11.67 meters, coming in just behind teammate Eileen Becker ’12, who claimed first and threw 12.12 meters.

Jenna Adams ’14 set a season best in the pole vault, vaulting 3.68 meters to win and move to eighth place nationally.

Brooke Johnson ’13 won both the long jump and the triple jump, leaping 5.08 meters in the long jump and 10.96 meters in the triple. Johnson’s efforts scored 20 points for the team and qualified her for Div. III New Englands and ECACs. Julie Paschal ’13 cleared 1.50 meters in the high jump, finishing in second.

In the 60 meter, Haley Stewart ’15 finished in second with a time of 8.07, and Annie Lynch ’14 claimed second in 8.20. The duo also ran with Diana Meija ’15 and Ashley Graves ’15 on the 4×200 relay team, placing second in 1:47.89. Lynch returned in the 200 meter to claim fourth, finishing in 27.19. The Ephs looked strong in the 400 meter, as Graves, Meija, Maya Harakawa ’12 and Amanda Murashige ’14 all qualified for Div. III New Englands. Rebecca Fine ’13 took third in the 600 meter in 1:40.75, while the 4×400 relay of Harakawa, Murashige, Fine and co-captain Hillary Higgs ’12 won the event with a blazing time of 4:06.17.

Adrienne Strait ’15 took second in the 800 meter at 2:28.00, Elleree Erdos ’12 won the 3000 meter in 10:50.70, and Marisa Repka ’14 took second in the 5000 meter in 18:18.38 in her first race of the season.

Head Coach Fletcher Brooks was impressed with the performances of some of his newest competitors. “Those away in January or not competing yet had some strong performances, look solid and should be able to build off that for New Englands in two weeks,” he said.

On Jan. 27, the women finished seventh at the Joe Donahue Boston Indoor Games at Northeastern, producing several impressive individual performances. Tanasia Hoffler ’13 placed third in the triple jump at 11.63 meters and seventh in the long jump at 5.29 meters. The Eph is currently ranked sixth in the country.

The distance group had solid performances in several events, highlighted by Brianne Mirecki ’14 taking second in the 1000 meter with a time of 2:59.30 and Kaleigh Kenny ’14 taking seventh place in the 3000 meter at 10:18.15. Though the 1000 meter and the 3000 meter are not NCAA races, both Ephs’ performances qualified them for ECACs.

The sprinters finished strong on the day, with Murashige running 1:00.26 in the 400 meter, followed closely by Harakawa running 1:00.30 and Meija running a season best of 1:02.04.

The women competed in the unscored Continental Invitational at Hamilton on Jan. 21. The sprint squad had a fantastic day, dominating the competition in several events, especially the 400 meter in which Harakawa took first, Murashige claimed second, Fine snared third and Mejia finished sixth.

The Ephs also won the 60-meter hurdles, as Hoffler glided to first in 9.43. Hoffler also won the long jump with a 5.10-meter mark. Moss finished second in the event with a jump of 4.84 meters.

Adams won the pole vault with a 3.50-meter effort, while Becker and Avril took first and third, respectively, in the shot put. Evans took third in the weight throw.

Louisa Lee ’14 ran a gritty 3000 meter to take second in 10:40.87, while teammate Strait won the 1000 meter in 3:12.33.

The women will compete this weekend in the Boston University Valentine Invitational on Friday and the MIT Coed Invite on Saturday.