Alpine women lift skiing to sixth place at UVM Carnival

Skiing turned in a sixth-place team finish at the UVM Carnival last weekend, capitalizing on a powerful first-place finish in the slalom from Geordie Lonza ’13.

Captain Dimitri Luethi ’12 raced to 11th last weekend at the UVM Carnival. The men’s nordic team combined for fifth place.Photo courtesy of Aubrey Smith.
Captain Dimitri Luethi ’12 raced to 11th last weekend at the UVM Carnival. The men’s nordic team combined for fifth place. Photo courtesy of Aubrey Smith.

Dartmouth claimed top honors in the carnival. On Jan. 27 and 28, Williams finished fifth at the UNH Carnival behind first-place UVM. The team opened up its season with a sixth-place result on Jan. 20 and 21 at the Bates Carnival. UVM once again topped the competition  in Maine.

The women’s alpine team finished strong at the UVM Carnival this weekend. Led by Lonza, the squad propelled the Ephs to a fifth-place finish. Friday held the women’s giant slalom competition. Laurel Carter ’12 was unable to finish the race, placing the pressure on Lonza to carry the women. The junior turned in an impressive third-place performance in the giant slalom to give her team a much-needed boost. Among other notable performances, Shannon Campbell ’14 placed 20th and rookie Sarah Cottrill ’15 finished just behind her teammate in 22nd.

Despite a strong effort, none of the men were able to finish in scoring positions in Friday’s giant slalom competition. Regardless, Head Coach Ed Grees is proud of his team: “The team goal was to leave no stone unturned, whether in the strength room, in the classroom or on the hill.”

On Saturday, the alpine women continued competition with the slalom, and Lonza led the way yet again. Lonza and Carter packed a formidable one-two punch, with Lonza winning the slalom in a blazing second run and Carter coming in second. Cottrill also showed well on the slopes, finishing 10th. Campbell finished off the weekend with a 20th-place finish in the slalom. The alpine women earned a two-day total of 127 points to put them definitively ahead of second-place Bates.

“The whole team has been skiing really fast in training, so it was awesome for the women to show it in a carnival,” Carter said. “It was really great to have two Ephs on the podium together. Getting to stand next to Geordie and finishing in first and second made the weekend all that much better!”

In the men’s slalom race on Saturday, Dylan Thomas ’15 was the lone Eph on the men’s alpine squad to finish in the top 30. The rookie took 27th place.

In Saturday’s nordic races, rookie Elena Luethi ’15 raced to 29th in the women’s 5k classic race. She was followed closely by Kristen Halvorsen ’14 in 35th and Christina Knapp ’13 in 37th. Captain Dimitri Luethi ’12 was the men’s top skier in the 10k classic, finishing the race in 28th place. Vanya Rybken ’15 came in less than four seconds later to take 29th in the classic. Ian Nesbitt ’13 also earned points for the team with his 32nd-place finish.

Williams stood in sixth as a team heading into Sunday, the final day of racing and the second day of nordic competition. Hannah Smith ’15 led the women’s team to a ninth-place finish on the day, crossing the finish line in the 10k freestyle race in 31:45. In the men’s 10k freestyle race, Dimitri Luethi finished 12th overall and 10th among collegiate racers. After Dimitri Luethi came Isaac Hoenig ’14 in 24th. Rybkin followed in 38th.

On Jan. 27 and 28, the team took to the slopes for the UNH Carnival, where it finished in fifth place. UVM turned in a dominant performance to claim first place.

The women’s alpine team came out strong on the second day of competition after the giant slalom was canceled on Day One. The team earned a second-place finish after a huge second run from Carter allowed her to break onto the podium and claim third place. Lonza was close behind in sixth.

The men’s alpine squad showed significant improvement in its second race of the season on Jan. 28, finishing Day Two of the UNH Carnival in fifth place. Captain Sean Cummiskey ’12 was the first Eph to finish, claiming 22nd place. Rookies Victor Major ’15 and Carson Houle ’15 finished just behind him in 24th and 25th, respectively.

The nordic team opened racing on Jan. 28 with the men’s 20k freestyle. Rookie Will Wicherski ’15 was the top finisher for the Ephs on the day, finishing eighth. Dimitri Luethi put in another strong performance, completing the race in 11th place. The men finished in fifth overall after earning 78 points.

In the women’s 15k mass start freestyle, Elena Luethi led the women’s team yet again, finishing in 18th place. Behind Luethi was Holly Whitney ’12 in 26th, captain Hannah Hausman ’12 in 32nd and Smith in 33rd. The nordic women combined for a sixth-place finish, contributing to a combined fifth place for Williams on the weekend.

On Jan. 20 and 21, the team powered to a sixth-place result at the Bates Carnival in its season opener, pulling in behind top-finisher UVM.

Women’s alpine assumed center stage in the slalom on Day One at Bates. Lonza skied to second place, while Carter cruised to sixth. Campbell’s performance was decisive: She moved up to 14th place,  vaulting the women above second-place Colby.

The men’s alpine team improved from 11th to eighth place on Day Two of the Bates Carnival. Chris Nocek ’13 was the first Eph to finish, taking 31st place with Cummiskey right behind him in 33rd. Thomas and Houle were the next two Ephs to finish, taking 49th and 50th, respectively.

In the 10k classic on Jan. 21, Dimitri Luethi opened the season strong, finishing four seconds behind the top finisher to claim sixth. Elena Luethi finished first for the women in the 10k mass start in 31st. Women’s nordic ended competition in eighth place, while the men moved up three spots to eighth after Saturday’s events.

The team will travel to New Hampshire on Friday and Saturday to compete in the Dartmouth Carnival.