Women’s swim claims Little 3 championship

Last Saturday, women’s swimming and diving (7-0) traveled to Middletown, Conn., to take on Tufts and Wesleyan and walked away victorious against its conference foes. Williams defeated Wesleyan 167-91 to claim the Little Three title. The women topped Tufts 171-91 in the dual meet. The team disposed of Amherst 185-115 on Jan. 7, returning to competition strong after its winter training trip. Prior to the break, the women conquered Conn. College 191-104 on Dec. 10.

The relay of co-captain Logan Todhunter ’12, Molly Prindle ’15, Kelsey Roggensack ’13 and Michaela Kearney ’15 out-touched Tufts and Wesleyan in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:50.99 to start the meet with a win. Sarah Thompson ’15 and Caroline Wilson ’13 followed up the relay with tough swims in the 1650 freestyle. Thompson edged Caroline Wilson in a time of 17:10.04 to claim first. Caroline Wilson finished second in 17:10.36, and Rebecca Maher ’13 completed the Williams sweep in third at 17:54.95.

Carolyn Geller ’12 and Todhunter added another one-two finish for the Ephs in the 200 freestyle. Geller touched the wall in 1:55.26, and Todhunter turned in a time of 1:55.40.

Wesleyan and Tufts topped the 100 backstroke and 100 breaststroke. KC Ha ’13 was the women’s top finisher in the 100 backstroke, touching the wall at 1:02.97. Co-captain Bonnie Patchen ’12 led the women in the 100 breaststroke, finishing fifth in 1:11.55.

In the sprint events, Kearney turned in an impressive win in the 50 freestyle, finishing in 24.78 and beating the field by nearly a full second. Todhunter walked away with a victory in the 100 freestyle, completing the event in 53:53.

The divers also had an impressive meet, sweeping the one- and three-meter boards. McKenzie Murdoch ’14, Michelle Higgins ’15 and Hannah Wilson ’12 finished first, second and third, respectively, in both events. Murdoch and Higgins cleared the NCAA-qualifying scores in the one-meter dive, and Hannah Wilson qualified for NCAAs in the three-meter dive. Murdoch was named NESCAC Performer of the Week for her performance.

The women finished up the meet with strong performances from Caroline Wilson, Todhunter, Thompson and Kate O’Leary ’13 in the 400 IM. Caroline Wilson topped the event in 4:28.95. The foursome also finished first in the 400 freestyle relay.  “It was nice to see some good swims after a hard week of training,” Todhunter said. “Some people also swam events that they don’t normally swim, which gave those individuals an opportunity to see what they could do in new events. It was fun and exciting.”

The women also competed on Jan. 7 at Amherst in the highly anticipated dual meet. The Ephs defeated the rival Jeffs 185-115 and set five pool records.

Todhunter recorded victories in the 100 and 200 butterfly, setting pool records in both events. Todhunter also teamed up with Thompson, Caroline Wilson and Geller for victories in the 200 medley relay and 400 freestyle relay.

Caroline Wilson contributed with a decisive win and an NCAA ‘B’ cut in the 200 breaststroke, coming out on top with a time of 2:22 and besting top competitor Courtney Flynn of Amherst by almost two seconds. The Ephs also claimed victory in the 1000 freestyle. Julie Okorn ’14 followed Caroline Wilson’s swim with a strong third-place performance.

Geller touched first in both the 50 and 100 freestyle. Rookie Catherine Treesh ’15 also impressed in the 50 freestyle, taking second in 24.87.

O’Leary, Patchen and Stephanie Nguyen ’14 swept the 200 IM with times separated by a mere 0.14 seconds.

Murdoch claimed victory in the three-meter dive, while Amherst’s Lizzy Linsmayer took first in the one-meter.

“It was a fun meet, and the rivalry always brings out a high level of energy and fast in-season swims,” Patchen said.

Before break, the women beat Conn. College on Dec. 10. Caroline Wilson topped the 1000 freestyle and the 500 freestyle, while Geller led a sweep in the 100 freestyle and claimed first in the 100 backstroke. Thompson earned first in the 200 freestyle, continuing her outstanding rookie campaign.

The team will next take on Springfield on Saturday at 1 p.m.