Women’s squash overpowers top teams at Yale Round Robin

Women’s squash (6-8, 3-2 in the NESCAC) ended a weekend of play at the Yale Round Robin with victories over Franklin & Marshall, George Washington and Conn. College before suffering a tough loss to Yale on Sunday. 

The women opened play after the break with a 7-2 loss to Bates on Jan. 8. On Jan. 7, the squad bested Colby 9-0 and Bowdoin 8-1. The women lost three straight before the break, losing 9-0 to Penn and Trinity on Dec. 10 and 9-0 to Princeton on Dec. 9.

The experienced Yale squad registered three-game wins over Allie Rubin ’13 at No. 1 and co-captain Courtney Bogle ’12 at No. 2. Laura Henry ’13, returning from a semester abroad, fell just short of victory in a marathon five-game match. Ellie O’Neill ’15, Alyssa Northrop ’14, Caroline Sawin ’15, co-captain Carolyn Kaemmer ’12, Hannah Kaemmer ’13 and Mia Fry ’13 each fell in three games. At No. 9, Eliana Saltzman ’12 registered the day’s lone win for the Ephs, surging to victory in the final three games of the match after dropping the first two.

The women conquered Conn. College and George Washington last Saturday. They delivered a swift and decisive 9-0 victory over Conn. College in the afternoon. The Ephs topped the Mules at each position en route to their first win of the day. In the evening, the women squared off against a much-improved George Washington squad and managed to claim a 9-0 victory. Bogle, O’Neill, Northrop, Carolyn Kaemmer, Fry and Gibbs Cullen ’14 all delivered three-game victories. At No. 1, Rubin came out strong, dropping only her third game in her 3-1 win. Henry, in the No. 3 spot, dropped a close first game before storming back to take the following three. At No. 6, Sawin faced stiff competition in the third game but took the match in four. Saltzman dropped the first two games before delivering three hard-won games to contribute to the perfect 9-0 win.

On Friday, Williams claimed an 8-1 victory over Franklin & Marshall. The Ephs won a majority of their matches in three games. Henry took four games to dispose of her opponent. At No. 2, Bogle took her opponent to five games before succumbing.

“This weekend the women worked hard and played well, leaving the Yale Round Robin with a 3-1 record,” Bogle said. “Highlights of the weekend were Alli Rubin’s win over the F&M No. 1, Laura Henry’s five-game battle against the Yale No. 3 and Eliana Saltzman’s five-game victory over the Yale No. 8. With this win, Saltzman broke Yale’s streak of not having lost a match yet this season!”

On Jan. 8, Williams fell 7-2 to a vastly improved Bates squad. At No. 1, Rubin played deep into each of her three games but dropped all three. Bogle took a close first game 11-9 before dropping the following three. At No. 5 and 6 respectively, Northrop and Carolyn Kaemmer claimed comeback victories, but the Bobcats ultimately came out victorious.

On Jan. 7, the women toppled Bowdoin 8-1 and Colby 9-0. At Bowdoin, the women faced a much-improved but young squad. Rubin dropped her first game in the top slot and narrowly squeezed out a 13-11 victory in the second before taking the match with 11-4 and 11-9 wins in the third and fourth games. Bogle also dropped a tightly-contested first game but rebounded with 11-5, 11-2 and 11-8 wins in the following three games. O’Neill, Henry, Northrop, Carolyn Kaemmer, Sawin, Saltzman and Cullen each took decisive three-game victories despite tough Polar Bear competition that forced the Ephs to play deep into each point.

The women pulled out a big win at Colby on Jan. 7 despite resting No. 2 Bogle. Rubin garnered a 3-1 decision at No. 1, while Henry won in four after dropping a tight third game in the third position. O’Neill, Northrop, Carolyn Kaemmer, Sawin, Saltzman, Cullen and Fry all claimed easy three-game wins to complete the 9-0 sweep.

On Dec. 10, Williams took on two strong squads on the road, falling 9-0 to No. 3 Penn and 9-0 to No. 5 Trinity. The women played Penn first, and every Eph fell in three games despite hard-fought matches. The women also struggled against Trinity, ultimately succumbing at each position in the ladder.

On Dec. 9, the women lost 9-0 to a strong Princeton squad. In an interesting twist, Sawin took on her older sister, Princeton’s Alex Sawin, at No. 6. The Eph fell 3-0 in the duel. Her teammates fared little better, with the Tigers sweeping the Ephs in three games at every ladder position.

The women will compete at Brown on Friday at 4 p.m. They will then host Dartmouth at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Middlebury at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

“The Ephs look forward to the three most important matches of the season this coming weekend,” Bogle said.