Seniors awarded fellowships for graduate study

Six members of the Class of 2012 were awarded the Dr. Herschel Fellowship for graduate study at Cambridge.

These students were selected by the Office of Fellowships. The winners are Zeynep Coskun ’12, Evelyn Denham ’12, Anser Kazi ’12, Hilary Ledwell ’12, Tarjinder Singh ’12 and Zina Ward ’12.

Additionally, Hillary Higgs ’12 was recently granted the Woodrow Wilson-Rockefeller Brothers Fund Fellowships for Aspiring Teachers of Color (WW-RBF). She is one of only 25 recipients nationwide. Fellowship winners are given a $30,000 stipend to complete a master’s degree in education.

Zeynep Coskun ’12

Coskun, who is from Istanbul, Turkey, is an economics and Arab studies major with an international relations concentration in economic development. She plans to pursue an M.Phil in economics during her first year at Cambridge to prepare for a research M.Phil that she will complete in her second year. She hopes to study conflict resolution tools and their policy implications, particularly those recently witnessed in Turkey and Egypt. Coskun is currently writing a thesis in economics in which she aims to understand whether economic policy furthers conflict resolution on its own or whether other sorts of policies, such as social policies, are needed as well. Coskun is also the recipient of the Carl van-Duyne Prize for Economics.

Evelyn Denham ’12

Denham is a history and German double major from Davidson, N.C. She plans to pursue an M.Phil in modern literature and culture in German. She may continue her education for a Ph.D in the future. Denham spent her junior year at Oxford and said that she is looking forward to returning to the U.K. Denham is the co-president of the student branch of the Stanley Kaplan Program in American Foreign Policy and plans to participate in politically-oriented groups at Cambridge. She is currently writing a history thesis titled “Between Sublime Porte and Hofburg: Ceremonial Negotiations at the Hasburg Court, 1748-1755.”

Anser Kazi ’12

Kazi is a political science major from Lahore, Pakistan. At Cambridge, he plans to obtain an M.Phil in politics and an M.Phil in modern south Asian studies. Kazi said he feels “excited about the opportunity [to study at Cambridge] and motivated to make the most of it.” At the College, Kazi has been heavily involved with the debate team and has been the recipient of multiple debate awards. Kazi’s political science thesis examines NATO’s humanitarian intervention in Kosovo in 1999, specifically the Clinton administration’s decision not to deploy ground troops and instead to rely solely on aerial bombardment operations. “My research aims to understand whether the sources of this profound ‘casualty aversion’ in humanitarian causes will continue to be a feature in U.S. foreign policy,” Kazi said.

Hilary Ledwell ’12

Ledwell, a religion and history double major from Little Rock, Ark., will pursue an M.Phil in modern European history. She is writing a religion thesis titled “The Faith of Sober Christians: Miracles in the 18th-Century Anglican Church,” which “examines the clerical tracts on the miraculous to sketch the institutional response of the church to rationalistic skeptics on the one hand and evangelicals on the other,” according to Ledwell. She spent her junior year at Oxford and also received a summer travel fellowship to England in order to conduct research for her thesis. Ledwell was also a finalist for the Rhodes scholarship.

Tarjinder Singh ’12

Singh is a triple biology, mathematics and economics major. He plans to pursue an M.Phil in biological sciences. “The experience I can gain from working with researchers around the world – across Europe and Tanzania – will be a challenging and life-changing experience before I enter medical school,” he said. At the College, Singh has worked as both a TA and as a peer tutor, and he has conducted research during the course of internships for the National Institutes of Health and University of Pennsylvania Medical School. His biology thesis is titled “Demographic and Selective Pressures in Disjunct and Core Populations of Arctic-Alpine Plant Empetrum nigrum.” Singh is a Class of 1960 scholar in economics as well as in biochemistry and molecular biology.

Zina Ward ’12

Ward is a philosophy and economics double major with a concentration in cognitive science from Essex, Vt. In her first year at Cambridge, she will pursue an M.Phil in history and philosophy of science, and during her second year, she plans to obtain an M.Phil in philosophy. “I’m writing a thesis in philosophy, examining instrumentalism about economics models and evaluating recent critiques of economic methodology that call for greater psychological realism,” Ward said. At the College she participates in many musical groups. At Cambridge, she is looking forward to being able to travel around Europe between terms.

Hillary Higgs ’12

Higgs is an American studies major at the College. “I’m really excited about [receiving the fellowship],” she said. “It’s going to be a great asset not only for networking but also financially, and it will allow me to get my master’s next year.” Higgs is still unsure about which graduate program she will attend, as she is not restricted by the terms of her fellowship, but she said that she wants to be a secondary high school teacher. Higgs serves as a mentor for first-generation, low-income and minority students at the College. She is also a Junior Olympic track coach and has formerly interned at the National Education Foundation. At the College, Higgs is a women’s track and field co-captain.