Men’s squash breaks even at round robin

Men’s squash (7-7, 5-1 in the NESCAC) went 2-2 at the Yale Round Robin this weekend. The men lost 8-1 to Yale on Sunday after defeating George Washington 7-2 and Conn. College 9-0 on Saturday. Williams opened the tournament with a 7-2 loss to Franklin & Marshall on Friday.

The squad returned from break with three straight victories. They topped Bates 7-2 on Jan. 8, and dispatched Bowdoin and Colby 9-0 on Jan. 7. Prior to the break, the men lost three straight matches, falling 9-0 to Trinity and 6-3 to Penn on Dec. 10 and dropping their match against Princeton 9-0 on Dec. 9.

Yale proved a formidable final opponent in the round robin tournament on Sunday, as the Bulldogs conquered the Ephs by an 8-1 margin. Christopher Wilkinson ’15 was the only Eph to earn a match victory, besting his opponent in three games at No. 8. Captain Will Morris ’12 battled at No. 1: He lost his first game 11-8 before taking an 11-4 win in the second game. The captain fell 11-4 in his third game but bounced back to take a hard-fought 14-12 win in the fourth. Yale’s Kenneth Chan ultimately conquered Morris with an 11-3 win in the fifth. Andy Maruca ’14 also fought to five games at No. 6. The Eph won his first two games 11-7, 11-9 before falling in the next three. Julian Drobetsky ’13 and Jared Zuckerman ’12 each played four games before submitting to their Bulldog opponents.

“We had a really successful weekend,” Nick Marks ’13 said. “Yale is a tough team to play, but we all put in good performances.”

The men gave up only one game to Conn. College in a commanding 9-0 victory on Saturday. Marks took four games to polish off his opponent, but every other Eph claimed three-game match victories to defeat Conn. College 9-0.

George Washington proved difficult competition on Saturday evening, but the men were ultimately able to pull out a 7-2 victory. Zuckerman claimed a five-game victory at No. 9. Marks and Morris lost their matches, but the Ephs managed to snare a 7-2 victory.

The men could not stop Franklin & Marshall in the opening round of the Yale Round Robin on Friday despite several hard-fought games. Maruca earned a four-game victory at No. 6, and Kevin Chen ’15 earned a narrow victory at No. 3. Chen won his first game before dropping the next two; he then rebounded to win his fourth and fifth games and take the match victory. Taylor Foehl ’14 and Drobetsky each took their opponents to five games before losing.

The men claimed three victories during their trip to Maine on Jan. 7 and 8. Bates proved a worthy opponent on Jan. 8. Zuckerman, Morris and Alec Greaves-Tunnell ’13 required five games to polish off their opponents. Foehl and Nicholas Greaves-Tunnell ’15 dropped their matches in five games, but the Ephs still claimed a 7-2 victory over the Bobcats.

The men turned in a dominant performance at Colby on Jan. 8: The Ephs dropped only two games en route to a 9-0 trouncing of the Camels. Drobetsky needed five games to send his Camel opponent packing after falling into a 0-2 hole after the first two games.

Earlier on Jan. 8, the men conquered Bowdoin 9-0. Only two Ephs required more than three games to earn a match victory. After a strong opening game, Nicholas Greaves-Tunnell battled back after losing his two subsequent games 11-9, 11-7 to claim a 3-2 match win. Foehl needed four games to dispatch his opponent after dropping his second game 13-11.

Despite disappointing results before break, the Ephs have now found their stride. Williams went into the break having lost three straight games: The team succumbed to Trinity 9-0 and Penn 6-3 on Dec. 10, after falling to Princeton 9-0 on Dec. 9.

The men will continue their season on Friday at Brown. Play will begin at 6 p.m. Williams will then host Dartmouth at 2 p.m. on Saturday and Middlebury at 2 p.m. on Sunday.

“This weekend is big for us,” Marks said. “Middlebury will be a big match for us. We’re looking forward to playing them. They were tough last year when we played at Middlebury, and they’ve improved this year, so it’ll be an exciting match.”