Ephs hold 6th in Directors’ Cup standings

At the end of the fall athletic season, the College sits in sixth place out of the more than 300 Div. III schools that compete for the U.S. Sports Academy Directors’ Cup each year. The College, which claimed its 13th consecutive Directors’ Cup last year, has tallied 240 points this season. Washington University in St. Louis currently holds the lead with 372 points.

Directors' Cup
Kristine Nakada '13 steals the ball from a Williams Smith player. The women's soccer team turned in an impressive season, which helped the College to a sixth place standing in the Directors' Cup. Photo courtesy of Sports Information.

Middlebury and Amherst sit in second and third place with 359 and 264 points, respectively.

The three largest contributors to the College’s point total this fall were men’s and women’s cross country, which combined for 157 points, and women’s soccer, which earned 73 points.

After the 2010 fall season, the College stood in fifth place overall with 236 points, trailing then-leader Washington University in St. Louis by 100 points. Last year, the College’s winter athletes compiled 483.5 points to take the lead at the conclusion of the winter season. The College finished the 2010-11 year with 1147 points, beating second-place Middlebury by nearly 90 points and third-place Washington University in St. Louis by close to 180 points.

Athletic Director Lisa Melendy will accept the 2010-11 Directors’ Cup award on behalf of the athletic department on Jan. 25. The ceremony will take place during the intermission between the men’s and women’s basketball games against Amherst.

“There’s a long way to go in the Directors’ Cup competition, so we’ll just have to see how it all works out,” said Dick Quinn, director of Sports Information. “It would not surprise me if the Ephs won their 14th straight Cup, and it would not surprise me if the streak ended at 13, as surely it must end sometime. Thirteen years in a row as the nation’s premier athletic department tends to fire up the opposition and make the Ephs the team everyone wants to beat.”

The scoring of the Directors’ Cup depends on the performance of each school’s teams in the NCAA Championships. Therefore, teams that are unable to participate in the NCAA Championships, including football, men’s and women’s squash and men’s crew, cannot earn points for the College in the Directors’ Cup.

The College’s top 18 teams – nine women’s teams and nine men’s teams – will be considered, and only these teams’ points will be tallied.

The next set of rankings in the Directors’ Cup competition will be released to the public in April, following the conclusion of the winter teams’ seasons.

• Bom dia Gilson,Suas foos estão ótimas!!! Estou fdzaneo uma tese sobre a arquitetura japonesa no brasil, gostaria de saber se posso inclui-las no meu trabalho, claro, identificando as fotos como sua…beijos