CC launches 10-day Conversation Campaign

College Council (CC) announced the creation of the Conversation Campaign in an all-campus e-mail on Monday. The campaign will consist of a series of campus-wide events aimed at jump-starting discussion and storytelling among community members. 

The campaign will include a variety of forums for discussion, including a snack time, an open mic on life dreams, a movie screening and a storytelling event modeled after speed dating.

CC members also tabled yesterday in Paresky, handing out wristbands and encouraging students to sign both a thank-you card for staff and a banner emblazoned with the motto, “I’m here to listen.”

According to CC co-president Nick Fogel ’12, the purpose behind the effort is “to try to make a more concerted and active effort to talk with and get to know the people around us.”

CC is hoping that the series of events will promote candid dialogue among students in the final days of Winter Study. “Hopefully having more time during Winter Study will make it more likely that people will engage,” Fogel said. He hopes for a robust student turnout, as “everyone can be more relaxed now than they are during the regular semester.”

While planning the events, Fogel and CC co-president Francesca Barrett ’12 worked with groups on campus, such as the Storytime board, that were already successful frameworks for facilitating discussion. Additionally, the concept of the “Sit and Savor” snacks event occurring today was a product of brainstorming between CC and Peer Health. Through compiling input from different campus groups, faculty and students, Fogel and Barrett have put forth a 10-day plan for inciting successful conversation among students.

“It’s so easy to go through your day without really talking to people, even people you’re friends with,” Fogel said. “We’re hoping we can use this momentum throughout the remainder of the month and into the start of the coming semester.”

The campaign, which kicked off its first event last Sunday, will continue through the end of the Winter Study term.