Wrestling falters in early season

Wrestling opened its season with impressive individual performances. Last Saturday at the New Standard Corporation at York, Tom Foote ’13 placed third at 285 lbs. The men came in last at the New Standard Corporation, which was won by No. 4 Ithaca.

Carson Brooks ’14
Carson Brooks ’14 defeated both the fourth and the sixth seeds at 141 lbs. last weekend. Photo by Sports Information.

On Nov. 19  at the Doug Parker Invitational, Kaison Tanabe ’13 came in fourth place, wrestling at 133 lbs. The men came in 14th.

Foote entered the New Standard Corporation last weekend ranked ninth in the nation at 285 lbs. He won his first two matches easily before losing 3-2 in the semifinal in a hard fought match to George Salib of York. However, he was able to rebound with a 6-3 victory to advance to the consolation finals. In the finals, Foote was able to pin his opponent in just 1:44, taking third place for his weight class. “This was one of the toughest tournaments in the country, and it was impressive,” Head Coach Rich Hasenfus said. “He lost a very close decision in the semi-finals, but he went four and one and had two pins.”

Carson Brooks ’14 opened the tournament with an impressive 8-3 win over the fourth seed in the 141 lb. weight class. Brooks then lost his next match before facing the sixth- seeded wrestler. He defeated his opponent 8-6 in overtime.

The Ephs had several strong performances on Nov. 19 at the Doug Parker Invite, highlighted by Tanabe’s fourth place finish. Tanabe won his first match with a pin in 55 seconds and won the second match 15-6 before losing a hard-fought match 4-3 to Mike Polizzi of Stevens. However, Tanabe was able to bounce back and win his next match, despite starting down 5-0. Tanabe won the next match to make it to the consolation finals. However, he was held out due to injury, making him the fourth-place finisher in the 133 lb. weight class. “[Tanabe] went five and one at the first competition of the year,” Hasenfus said. “He battled through with lots of very close matches, and he fought his way back.”

Adam Datema ’15 went 3-2 in the 285 lb. weight class. Kyle Gaffney ’15, wrestling at 165, lost his first match and then came back to win his next two.  “It’s a tough first tournament for them to have based on the fact that we have 14 practices, and everyone else has five weeks of practices, so we were really impressed,” Hasenfus said.

The men will wrestle again when they host Johnston and Wales, WPI and Oneonta this Saturday at 1 p.m. “We will work on some of the mistakes we made this past weekend, and we will be building on some things we need to work on that we know our opponents will do,” Hasenfus said.