Women’s squash falls to top-ranked squads

No. 9 women’s squash (1-3) fell 9-0 to No. 7 Cornell on Nov. 20 after a long opening weekend. The women fell to No. 6 Stanford 9-0 on Nov. 19 after defeating No. 18 Hamilton 9-0 earlier in the day. The squad opened its season with a 9-0 loss to No. 1 Harvard on Nov. 18.

The women have been competing without Laura Henry ’13, Hannah Kaemmer ’13 and Mia Fry ’13, who will not return from abroad until Jan. 7. “We’re looking forward to having all our players back before the hard matches awaiting the team in January and February,” Head Coach Zafi Levy ’01 said.

Cornell won all of the games on Nov. 20, earning a clean sweep at each rung of the ladder. Rookie Ellie O’Neill ’15 turned in a strong performance at the No. 4 position, battling in the second game but ultimately fell 14-12 in the game and suffered a 3-0 match loss. Caroline Sawin ’15 had an encouraging showing at No. 7, pushing her final game to 22-20 but ultimately falling 3-0 in the match. “I am very pleased with our freshmen, Ellie O’Neill and Caroline Sawin,” Levy said. “Both are major contributors.”

Even with the loss, Levy was impressed with the women’s efforts. “Cornell is a very strong team,” he said. “Despite missing three starters, who are abroad, we played really well.”

Co-captain Courtney Bogle ’12 and Alyssa Northrup ’14 both earned a game victory against No. 6 Stanford on Nov. 19, but the Ephs fell to the Cardinals in all nine matches. At the top of the ladder, Bogle earned an 11-9 win in her first game, but she could not maintain her performance and lost the match 3-1. Northrup won her third game 11-9 after falling in the first two by 11-6 and 11-5 margins. However, the Eph lost by a 3-1 score.

“Alyssa is becoming a strong force in the middle of the lineup and has improved dramatically from last year,” Levy said.

Earlier in the morning on Nov. 19, the women conquered Hamilton with an impressive 9-0 victory. The Ephs won all of their games over the Continentals, sending their NESCAC foe packing after a decisive defeat. Bogle dominated at No. 1, taking her games 11-2, 11-3 and 11-0.

The women opened their season against top-ranked Harvard on Nov. 18. Despite losing all of their games in the top nine slots, several women battled their opponents hard. Bogle played in tight games, falling 11-9, 11-5 and 12-10 at No. 1. Allison Rubin ’13 also turned in close games from No. 2. She lost her match 3-0 after taking her games to 12-10, 11-3 and 11-6.

The women will play at Princeton on Friday at 7 p.m. They will then face Penn at 11 a.m. and Trinity at 7 p.m. on Saturday.