Men’s XC snares 6th at Div. III Nationals

Men’s cross country took sixth at Div. III NCAAs in Oshkosh, Wis., on Nov. 19 to wrap up a memorable season that saw the Ephs win six meets and accumulate NESCAC, ECAC and New England titles. North Central from Illinois took the national title.

The team sped through the first mile in 4:48 before slowing down at the two-mile mark, when a pack of six Ephs found themselves in the mix with a time of 9:57. Head Coach Peter Farwell ’73 praised the “super pack” of teammates that stayed close to one another for the first part of the race.  Josephat Koima ’12 and Chris Lee ’14 stuck together well, hitting the three-mile mark in 14:58, closely followed by Colin Cotton ’15, who reached the mark in 15:06. “The team got out exceedingly well and packed up great,” Farwell said.

Lee mounted a charge on the fourth and fifth miles. He moved through the four-mile mark in 34th place at 19:56, closing in on All-American status. Koima was the next to reach the mark in 20:06, with Cotton moving through the field in 20:11 and Wade Davis ’13 close behind.

The Ephs closed well, with Lee finishing just short of All-American status in 38th place with a time of 24:57. Cotton took 55th in 25:07, earning the fourth fastest rookie time in the nation. Koima and Davis came in within milliseconds of each other, finishing in 56th and 57th places, respectively, at 25:07. Co-captain Anthony Raduazo ’12 was the fifth finisher for the Ephs and rounded out scoring in 72nd with a time of 25:16. Jack Fitzhenry ’12 concluded an outstanding season in 95th at 25:28, while co-captain Mark Springel ’12 filled in admirably for an ill Brandon Abasolo ’13, taking 145th place in 25:55.

“Only team champion North Central had a higher placing fifth runner than Williams, and our spread of only 19 seconds between first and fifth runners was by far the best of any team in the competition,” Farwell said. “We are delighted to be the top New England team in the meet by finishing sixth in the nation to top off a spectacular season that saw our men capture every title available.”

While the Ephs do have several underclassmen, the team will graduate 13 seniors, including Raduazo, Fitzhenry, Koima and Springel. “The senior class has been a force throughout their years at Williams, especially this season,” Farwell said. “With their leadership, training ethic, talent, depth and spirit, they are the epitome of Williams cross country.”