Men’s track debuts with strong marks

Men’s track and field traveled to Smith last weekend for its season debut at the Smith College Winter Classic. While the meet was non-scoring, the Ephs had several notable performances. 

“[This meet was] an opportunity to establish a starting point for the indoor season and to gauge the effectiveness of fall off-season training,” Assistant Coach Ben Raphelson said. “We were excited to get back to competition and give some freshmen exposure to collegiate competition.”

Co-captain Rusty Cowher ’12 captured first in the weight throw with a toss of 17.91 meters, a personal best. Syvad Young ’12 placed second behind him, with a throw of 14.51 meters. Cowher also placed second in the shotput, with Young claiming fourth.

“We were particularly pleased with Rusty Cowher in the weight throw,” Raphelson said. “For him to start off the year with a career personal best bodes very well.”

Richie Beaton ’14 won the long jump competition with a jump of 6.18 meters. Co-captain Tomas Kearney ’12 and Demarius Edwards ’14 tied for sixth in the high jump with their vertical leaps of 1.82 meters.

Williams was well represented in the middle-distance and distance events. Peter Watson ’13 claimed runner-up status in the 5000 meter with a personal best time of 16:38.18. Ben Fischberg ’14 won the mile in 4:48.55. In the 1000 meter, Ben Schneider ’15 claimed first in 2:38.11 and Peter Young ’13 took second in 2:38.14. Not to be outdone, Nick Wolf ’14 and Thomas Kuczmarski ’12 placed first and second, respectively, in the 800 meter. Wolf completed the event in 2:02.38 and Kuczmarski finished in 2:02.43.

The sprinting contingent of the team also had some remarkable performances. Jabulani Blyden ’13 finished second in the finals of the 60-meter hurdles in a personal best time of 8.59 seconds, and Laye Samoura ’15 crossed the line in sixth. Robert Carnes ’14 finished second in the 400 meter, and Jared Nowell ’15 and Jean-Luc Etienne ’15 went 2-3 in the 60-meter dash. Manny Daring ’15, Nowell, Edwin Maina ’15 and co-captain Rich Fusco ’12 teamed up to take the top spot in the 4 x 400 meter relay.

“We won’t have a large group competing again until after Christmas break, so we have a good opportunity to get some quality training in before we face some tougher competition in January,” Assistant Coach Melissa Daly said.

“Our performances showed that we’re on target to meet some of our lofty goals this winter – reclaiming the New England Division III Championship first among them,” Raphelson said.

The team will next send a small contingent to compete at the Harvard Open on Saturday. The first events will commence at 8 a.m.