Men’s hockey silences NESCAC competition

No. 14 men’s ice hockey (4-0-2, 3-0-1 NESCAC) continued its strong start with wins over Conn. College and Tufts last weekend. The wins came after the men drew a game with Manhattanville on Nov. 27, notched wins over Babson and Colby on Nov. 22 and 20, respectively, and tied Bowdoin on Nov. 19. 

The men secured a 4-1 victory last Saturday over Conn. College. After a scoreless first period, Mike Brofft ’13 tallied a goal during a power play just 2:53 into the second period. Matt Doyle ’14 scored under a minute later to bring the score to 2-0. With fifteen minutes remaining in the period, Evan Dugdale ’13 notched a goal to make the score 3-0. However, Conn. College answered back with less than two minutes remaining in the period, making the score 3-1. With four minutes left in the game, Nick Anderson ’14 scored on a power play to deliver a 4-1 victory over Conn. College.

“We’ve made [power play] adjustments, and changed some people around,” Head Coach Bill Kangas said, “but the most important thing is getting the puck to the net.”

The men topped Tufts last Friday. Tucker Dayton ’14 scored a goal with a snipe to the left post in the first period, starting the Ephs off with a 1-0 lead. Williams then scored three goals in a gripping third period to secure the 4-1 victory. Ryan Purdy ’12 held down the fort in goal, allowing the Jumbos only one goal with five minutes left to play while notching 28 saves.

Purdy was named NESCAC Player of the Week for his strong goaltending this week.

The men’s defense was challenged against Mahattanville on Nov. 27.“Manhattanville was a very fast and physical team and I think that the rest of the teams have been solid, but [they were] definitely the most talented,” co-captain Steve Maier ’12 said.

With less than one minute remaining in the second period, Anderson intercepted the puck and made good on a breakaway to make the score 1-0.

Despite an overwhelming 42 shots by the Valiants, Purdy kept the Ephs in the game by only allowing one goal.

The team secured its second win of the season against Babson on Nov 22. Rookie goaltender Sean Doughtery ’15 made his first collegiate appearance, making 28 saves to lead the Ephs to a 5-2 win. Doyle led the Ephs with a goal within the first 10 minutes of the first period. His score was followed by goals from Justin Troiani ’12 and John Wickman ’13 to end the period with a 3-1 lead. The Ephs defended their lead with two goals from Skinner and Mistretta.

The men got their first win of the season on Nov. 20 against Colby in a nail-biting 4-3 win. The Ephs had a two-goal lead set by goals from Cody Skinner ’13 in the first period and Dugdale in the second period, the Mules managed to make a comeback starting from an early goal just 42 seconds into the second period. Although Peter Mistretta ’15 netted a goal just a minute later, the Mules tied up the game with two goals in the third period, making the score 3-3 and sending the game into overtime. Mark Lyons ’13 scored the game-winning goal just three minutes into the overtime period.

The season opener against Bowdoin was an extremely hard fought match. The game remained scoreless until Eric Rubino ’13 tallied the first goal six minutes into the second period. Rubino struck again 12 minutes later to put the Ephs up 2-1.

In the third period, after an ambiguous signal from the referee, the Polar Bear goalie skated toward the bench leaving the net unminded. David Jarrett ’15 was able to put the puck into the net. Unfortunately, Bowdoin tied the game in the last three minutes.  The game ended after an overtime period that did not resolve the 3-3 tie.

The men will play at Amherst on Friday and at Hamilton on Saturday.