Ephs outpace Div. I opponents

Women’s swimming won its tri-meet against Div. I opponents Fordham and Boston College last Saturday, topping Fordham 152-148 and Boston College 202-98. The meet came after a 225-71 win over Union on Nov. 19.

Caroline Wilson ’13 had a strong performance in the tri-meet  last Saturday, winning the 200 freestyle in 1:50.58. She also won the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:22.45 and topped the 200 IM, coming back in the last 50 yards to win in a time of 2:04.79. Wilson beat Fordham’s Courtney Collyer by mere seconds in both the 200 breast and 200 IM.

Co-captain Logan Todhunter ’12 and Carolyn Geller ’12 both had powerful performances. Geller brought home first in the 50 freestyle and led the 200 medley relay squad of Wilson, Todhunter and Stephanie Nguyen ’14 to a second-place finish, touching the wall less than a second after Fordham’s squad. Todhunter took first in both the 100 and 200 fly.

Rookie Sarah Thompson ’15 won the 1000 freestyle, completing the event in 5:01.86. Thompson also finished first in the 500 freestyle with a time of 10:15.69 and first in the 100 freestyle in 52.75.

McKenzie Murdoch ’14 took second in both the one-meter and three-meter diving.

“Going in, I felt if we swam well we had a chance to beat both teams, certainly that was our goal,” Head Coach Steve Kuster said. “We were going to need to get contributions from people in every event, and I feel like we did a good job of that.”

The tri-meet win came after a 225-71 blowout win over Union on Nov. 19.

Thompson showed exceptional skill in her first collegiate meet, finishing first in the 1000 freestyle. She finished the event more than half a minute ahead of second-place finisher Julie Okorn ’14. Thompson also won the 100 freestyle.

The Ephs dominated in the 400 medley relay, earning the top four finishes in the event. The squad of Nguyen, Wilson, Todhunter and Geller took the top spot in 3:55.63. Todhunter had an especially strong meet, also winning the 200 fly by a nine-second margin over co-captain Bonnie Patchen ’12.

Wilson had another commanding performance, winning the 200 freestyle, 200 breast and the 400 IM.

Murdoch took first in the one-meter and the three-meter dives for the Ephs.

“Thompson, Wilson, Todhunter and Geller all won events and swam well. I also thought we got some other big contributions from Molly Prindle [’15], KC Ha [’13] and Nguyen, among others,” Kuster said.  “These were really good wins for the team, and hopefully just the beginning of lots more good things to come.”

The women will next host Conn. College on Saturday at 1 p.m.