New head coach to lead women’s hockey

Women’s ice hockey will look to improve on last year’s results this winter. The women ended last season with a loss to Middlebury in the NESCAC quarterfinals after qualifying as the eighth seed. The women had a 4-17-1 (3-12-1 in the NESCAC) record last season. 

The Ephs lost five seniors to graduation: Allison Page ’11, Mimi McClatchy ’11, Lauren Zurek ’11, Stephanie Berger ’11 and Jacqueline Berglass ’11. However, a strong core of the women’s team will return to the ice this season, including last year’s leading goal scorer Sam Weinstein ’13 and goalkeepers Rachel Nguyen ’14 and Catherine Tremble ’13. Co-captains Eliza Foster ’12 and Hannah Systrom ’12 will lead the Ephs this year.

The women also gain new Head Coach Meghan Gillis, a Bowdoin graduate who was previously coaching at Pomfret School. Gillis will be joined on the revamped coaching staff by Assistant Coach Jill Campbell, a four-year player on Bowdoin’s ice hockey team. Gillis compiled a 21-16-9 record while at Pomfret. “In my first season, I want to help create open and honest lines of communication, develop our fundamental skill sets and foster a competitive environment on the ice at practice each day,” Gillis said. “One challenge we will face this season is coming together as a cohesive unit as quickly as possible.”

The team will also benefit from the addition of  eight rookies to its roster this season: defenders Caitlin Conlon ’15, Sam Cutts ’15, Nitsan Goldstein ’15 and Perry McCarthy ’15; forwards Alyssa Veil ’15, Andree Heller ’15 and Gwendolyn Schultz ’15; and goalkeeper Chloe Billadeau ’15. “I expect the first-years to step in and make an immediate impact,” Gillis said. “We must work hard and communicate effectively in order to be prepared.”

The women will open their season this weekend with a doubleheader against Little Three foe Wesleyan. The Ephs play at home on Friday at 7 p.m. and again on Saturday at 3 p.m. “I have been impressed with what our team has done so far in practices and am looking forward to seeing that transfer to our games this weekend,” Gillis said.