Mens track preps for dominant indoor season

Men’s track and field looks to cement itself as a dominant force both regionally and nationally during the upcoming indoor season. The Ephs are led by co-captains Rusty Cowher ’12, Rich Fusco ’12, Tomas Kearney ’12 and Anthony Raduazo ’12. 

The coaching staff’s primary goals for the season are to win the Div. III New England Indoor title and to challenge as a team on the national level. To accomplish these goals, the men will have to remain healthy throughout the long indoor season, which begins in Dec. and does not conclude until March. The Ephs lost 11 men to graduation last spring, including Brian Cole ’11, a two-time All-American in the middle distance events; Steve Rubin ’11, a national qualifier in the long jump and NESCAC and New England champion; Isaac Nicholson ’11, a multi-eventer and national qualifier; and Matt Sullivan ’11, a major point contributor in the hurdles.

A few first-years on the team will help to fill this void: Colin Cotton ’15 and Cole Townsend ’15 in the distance events, Laye Samoura ’15 in the hurdles and Edwin Maina ’15 in the sprints. “It’s pretty clear we gained far more than we lost this year,” Fusco said. “We have a still-thriving field team and newly expanded sprint and mid-distance teams. Our throwers lost no one and our distance crew is always solid.”

The men also return several key athletes, including Jabulani Blyden ’13 in the sprints and hurdles, Chris Fogler ’13 in the multi-events and hurdles, All-American Kearney in the jumps and Cowher leading the throwing group. The coaching staff expects sizable contributions from a deep middle-distance/distance group after a very successful cross-country season.

The Ephs are gaining four coaches this season, including Howard Powell, Melissa Daly, Ben Raphelson and Lance Harden. Fletcher Brooks will continue to guide the team as head coach. “Assimilating our new coaches and all of our new athletes may seem challenging, but it has been an incredibly smooth process,” Fusco said. “I think we have a fantastic season waiting for us.”

The team will begin the indoor season on Dec. 3 at the Smith College Invitational.