Men’s XC tops New Englands

National No. 7 men’s cross country earned a narrow victory at the New England Div. III Championship at Bowdoin last Saturday. Williams won the meet by one point, turning in a final score of 88 points to Middlebury’s 89. The victory earned the Ephs a spot in the Div. III National Championships.

The course was flat with scattered trees that interfered with the runners’ path. The field faced a bottleneck a quarter mile into the race, and Williams tried to reach the front immediately to avoid getting stuck in the back.

Chris Lee ’14 moved up throughout the race to seize seventh, with a time of 25:01. Colin Cotton ’15 continued his strong season, finishing in 25:04 and taking 10th place. Williams next finished a pack of Jack Fitzhenry ’12, Wade Davis ’13 and Josephat Koima ’12. Fitzhenry placed 22nd in 25:16, Davis placed 23rd in a time of 25:17 and Koima placed 26th in a time of 25:20.

Brandon Abasolo ’13 and co-captain Anthony Raduazo ’12 both got caught in the bottleneck early on. They both made strong moves over the last few miles to reel in other contenders. Raduazo finished in 40th place with a time of 25:37, while Abasolo finished in 50th place in 25:46.

“On a flat, fast course, we got out well, moved up well and many set all-time personal bests as we overcame a strong challenge from Middlebury,” Head Coach Peter Farwell ’73 said. “Lee had a marvelous race with a huge move up into the second pack of contenders to place seventh, and Cotton again proved he is no rookie, as he emerged the first [rookie] runner in an amazing 10th place.”

The Ephs head to Oshkosh, Wisconsin for the Div. III National Championship on Saturday.

“Regionals were a big step as we reclaimed the New England title and advanced to Nationals,” Farwell said. “Our pack has even more in the tank for the culminating race on Saturday, and they are focused, ready and energized for the challenge.”