Men’s crew hits stride in finale of fall season

Men’s crew headed to Saratoga Springs, N.Y., last weekend to complete its fall season at the Head of the Fish Regatta. The Ephs turned in three impressive victories, as  the 1V, 2V and novice eight all claimed the top spot in their races. The men also finished first in the open four races and novice four races. 

Race day presented some challenging weather for the men: Temperatures dipped below freezing, and the crews had to cope with a strong tailwind in their final fall race.

The men’s 1V took first place in the afternoon varsity eight race. The men cruised through open water to snag the top spot with a time of 10:36.89, four seconds ahead of the second-place boat from Marist, which finished in a time of 10:40.78.

The Williams 2V followed suit, topping the 2V race with a time of 10:59.06, edging Wesleyan by over three seconds. The Cardinals ultimately finished in 11:02.86.

The men also entered two open fours in the regatta, taking the top two spots in a race of four boats. The boats finished in 11:55.70 and 12:40.30 to outpace the third-place crew from Oswego State.

As the novice boats do not compete in the fall’s other regattas, the Head of the Fish is the first opportunity for the rookies to prove themselves on the water. The men entered two novice eight boats in a field of 26 boats entered in the morning’s novice races. The men’s first novice eight boat earned first place, turning in a final time of 11:13.96. The crew claimed first by a commanding 13 seconds over Marist, who crossed the line in 11:26.49. The second novice eight boat placed eighth with a time of 12:36.31. The race presented the first time in over two decades that the rookies have produced a win at the Head of the Fish.

Williams also claimed first and third place in the novice four category. The first novice four finished in 12:40.51, dusting St. Lawrence, who claimed second in 12:58.18. The second novice four finished the course in 12:58.53 to snare third in the 20-boat race.

“Our sweep of the Fish this year is an indication of both the fitness and the determination of our team,” co-captain Alex Treco ’12 said. “Both varsity and freshmen were resolved to win and produced the performances needed to accomplish that.”

Overall, the team is optimistic heading into the spring sprinting season. The spring crews will combine a number of returning athletes with a crop of talented rookies.

“As for the fall season, as captains I don’t think we could have asked for much more,” Treco said. “The team came back fit and we posted the fastest Div. III time at every one of our races. Our team wants to take competition to the next level. With five months until the spring, I’m excited to see how much speed we can gain on top schools like Yale, Michigan and UVA.”