Lickety Split closes on Spring St.

Lickety Split closed for business on Monday after its building lease expired. Lickety Split also has a café in MASS MoCA, which will remain open, and may replace its Spring Street shop with another branch in Williamstown in the future. 

The Spring Street Lickety Split opened in June 1996. After the business’s expansion to MASS MoCA in 1999, its owners, Tom and Cathy Ralys, decided to focus on that location. Lickety Split at MASS MoCA started as just an ice cream and lemonade stand in the lobby of the museum, but the menu was quickly expanded to better serve the museum’s patrons.Cathy Ralys’s sister, Robin Kanelos, assumed ownership of Lickety Split on Spring Street and has been running the shop for the past 11 years.

Although sad about leaving, Kanelos hopes to reopen soon. “Williams College is actually helping me find a new place,” Kanelos said. She has a possible location in mind, though she did not wish to disclose details. She is not currently pursing any concrete plans.

Lickety Split has been a favorite among students, faculty, community members and visitors since its opening. The shop offered a variety of premium flavors, including the popular Purple Cow flavor, delivered fresh from Herrell’s in Northampton, Mass. Along with its frozen treats, Lickety Split also served homemade soup, quiche, salad and sandwiches.

Katy Carrigan ’14 expressed her displeasure with the closing of the beloved store. “It’s an atrocity. They’re one of the businesses who have been on Spring St the longest. I wouldn’t be surprised [to see] any backlash from the community because it’s the best ice cream around.”

• Mr Carter

I don’t know that it is an “atrocity”… but it is most likely another example of the continued expansion of the college/ paresky dominance of prime local business properties in town. Local tax rates for home owners were increased this year at a rate much higher than these kinds of college properties to offset the fall in real estate value. Most college property value is not taxed at all.

The school dominates the physical plant of the town by stifling and creating development in the local economy as it designs- not exactly in keeping with its founding charter as a free school for local youth created as part of a land grant. Should the school pay for everything it owns? Of course not. Should it pay more than it does for town resources- definitely.