Women’s golf finishes fall season undefeated

Women’s golf brought home a fourth victory this weekend at the Wellesley Invitational, closing out an immensely successful fall season with an undefeated record. The women put up twin 322 scores for Saturday and Sunday for a total of 644, besting Amherst’s 334-341 (675) by 31 strokes. The team also won the Williams Fall Classic and NESCAC Invitational on Oct. 8 and 9.

Wellesley’s Nehoiden Golf Club is a nine-hole course that competitors played twice each day. “Although playing the course multiple times was a bit tedious, we really tried to take advantage of it,” Georgiana Salant ’14 said. “Being able to remember what clubs we already hit and knowing the pin placements made us more comfortable out there.” The great condition of the course and the cool, sunny weather made for a good weekend for golf.

The team was led by Salant, whose 73-77 (150) earned her the medalist title by four strokes over Mount Holyoke first-year Madi Mendiola. Salant’s solid 73 on Saturday consisted of three bogies and two birdies and was the lowest score in the tournament. Following Salant was Victoria Student ’13, whose 79-80 (159) put her in the top five. Becky Miller ’13 and Paige Whidbee ’15 posted matching scores of 85-83 (168) and Emily Wickstrom ’14 rounded out the team with a score of 88-82 (170).

The Wellesley Invitational was Whidbee’s second collegiate tournament, and the team benefited from her solid play; her consistency paid off as she contributed to the team score both days.

Head Coach Erika DeSanty commented positively on the team’s performance. “This weekend was a great ending to a solid fall season,” she said. “Our team posted two strong rounds and stayed focused on bettering our performance regardless of the competition. Our consistency and confidence grew throughout the season and I know this will make a big difference for our program this spring.”

This win comes after the women’s success on Oct. 8 and Oct. 9 at the Williams Fall Classic and NESCAC Invitational, both of which the women won.  The Williams Fall Classic encompassed both days at Taconic Golf Club, while the NESCAC Invite was based on solely Sunday’s scores. After the first day of play, the Ephs had a 16-stroke lead over Amherst. Salant again led the team with a 79, followed by Wickstrom with an 80, Student and Miller with 81s and Shote with an 86. The women were able to hold off Middlebury on Sunday, winning by two strokes. Salant, who shot a 77 and placed second in the tournament, led the Ephs. Following Salant for the women were Student and Miller, who both shot 81s, Shelby Shote ’15 with an 86 and Wickstrom, who rounded out scoring with an 87.

The women plan to train hard during the winter off-season so they can build upon this fall’s successes, with the ultimate goal of performing with strength in the Div. III National Championship.