Chow, Meyer dominate Div. III competition at USTA/ITA tourney

Trey Meyer ’13 and Bryan Chow ’13 traveled to Mobile, Ala., last weekend to compete in the USTA/ITA National Small College Championships, winning the Div. III doubles crown and placing second in the Super Bowl competition featuring Div. II, Div. III, NAIA and Junior College teams. The team as a whole concluded its fall season with a trip to the Dartmouth Shootout on Oct. 7.

Trey Meyer ’13
Trey Meyer ’13 and doubles partner Bryan Chow ’13 won the Div. III doubles crown in three sets at the USTA/ITA National Small College Championships in Mobile, Ala., last weekend. Photo by Todd Brenner.

The Dartmouth Shootout was a competition featuring Williams, Dartmouth and Middlebury, wherein each team played the others in singles and doubles over three days of play.

Meyer and Chow, who were seeded first in the USTA/ITA tournament last weekend, opened Day One of the tournament on Friday with a 6-3, 7-6 (5) win over their opponents from Gustavus Adolphus. They then faced the fourth seeded team from North Carolina Wesleyan. The match started with a tough set, which Meyer and Chow took 7-5. The Ephs then lost the second set 2-6, and only claimed victory after a 10-7 third-set tie-break win, allowing them to advance to the finals.

Meyer and Chow then faced the No. 2 seed from California Lutheran in the final on Saturday. The Ephs fought hard in the first set, but couldn’t overcome their opponents in the tiebreak, falling 6-7 (2). Meyer and Chow then fought back, claiming  the next two sets with scores of 6-4 and 6-3 to win the Div. III title.

“Trey and Bryan have worked all fall on being a tough doubles team,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “They treat every point in practice like it matters and try to bring out each other’s best even when they’re not playing well. When they found themselves down in several of their matches this weekend, they were able to stay focused and confident and keep their energy where it needed to be to come back and win.”

Following the victory, the pair went on to the Super Bowl event on Sunday, where they opened play with a 6-4, 6-4 win over their opponents from Embry-Riddle, who competes in the NAIA, to advance to the final. Unfortunately, Meyer and Chow could not best Christian Hansen and  Luis Loeffler of Div. II Valdosta State, who won the match 6-3, 6-2. However, the men came away with an impressive second place finish.

“I think Bryan and Trey’s commitment to becoming a top-notch doubles team shows us our potential and what it takes to reach it,” Greenberg said. “My hope is that their performance … inspires the other doubles teams to make the same commitment to each other and to improving.”

At the Dartmouth Shootout, the men struggled on Oct. 7 in the first day of doubles play, with only the doubles pair of co-captain Will Petrie ’12 and Dylan Page ’13 earning a point for their win over their Dartmouth opponents in a hard-fought 8-6 match. Petrie and Page were then defeated by Middlebury in an equally hard-fought match, with a score of 8-5. The other two doubles teams of Matt Micheli ’14 and Felix Sun ’13 and Adam Reich ’14 and Jay Mehta ’13 fell to both their Dartmouth and Middlebury opponents.

The Ephs found more success in their singles play on Day Two, with four wins against Middlebury and one against Dartmouth. Sun proved tough in the first spot against Middlebury in a match that went to three sets, taking the match 2-6, 6-4, 10-5. Micheli won 6-3, 6-4 in the second spot, while Page had a second set go into tiebreak before winning the third spot 6-4, 7-6 (4). Petrie fell 6-4, 6-2 in the fourth spot, while Reich found success in the fifth spot, taking his match 6-4, 7-6. Mehta fell in the sixth spot. Every Eph but Micheli fell against their Dartmouth opponents. Micheli won against his Big Green opposition at No. 2, winning 6-4, 5-7, 10-5.

On the third day, Sun and Micheli, Petrie and Page and Mehta and Reich all fell in doubles matches. However, Page won in the singles in three hard-fought sets with a score of 7-6, 4-6, 10-7.

“What I liked about the Shootout was that we were learning on the fly,” Greenberg said. “After Day One, we talked about what we needed to do better the next two days, and we had tangible changes we wanted to see. Fortunately the guys made some of those changes and they paid off in some matches.”

These competitions were the men’s last of the fall, and they have important goals for the off-season. “The guys will have individual things they’ll want to improve during the winter, but as a team they’ll start lifting more … and try to finish the second half of the semester on a high note academically,” Greenberg said.