Spring Street Pizza opens doors

After roughly a year of planning and construction, the new eatery Spring Street Pizza will open its doors tonight. The restaurant was scheduled to open Monday night, but delayed its debut due to computer problems. Monday afternoon saw owner Thierry Breard and his employees putting the finishing touches on cooking equipment, menu items and restaurant decor. 

Breard said that his motto for the restaurant is “upgrade, not downgrade,” explaining that he will wait until the level of business and customer feedback suggest that he should make small tweaks like unveiling new specials or pricing menu items differently.

Breard characterized his pizzeria as a place that brings together “homemade, fast and to-order food at affordable pricing,” with a menu that will boast wings, salads and soups along with an extensive pizza selection.

“We’ll start with pizza, by-the-slice ordering, salads and appetizers and then eventually roll out other items,” Breard said. “We’re going to focus on the things that we do really well first.”

The simple decor of the restaurant is consistent with the owner’s philosophy. “I don’t want to throw up things that don’t mean anything,” Breard said.

The restaurant will feature thin crust, New York style pizza by the slice for $2.50, catering to a student population. Additionally, the restaurant hopes to uphold a goal of little to no wait time for fresh, homemade food. Over the next few weeks, the restaurant will also unveil additional student specials currently not available.

While the hours will be determined by business over its first weeks up and running, Spring Street Pizza will most likely be open from 11 or 11:30 a.m. through 9 or 10 p.m. on Sunday through Thursday, and until  1 or 2 a.m. on the weekends.