OCC hosts job fair, searches for new hire

The Office of Career Counseling (OCC), which hosted the College’s Job and Internship Fair last Friday, continues to await its move to Mears House. It is also involved in an ongoing search to replace Ron Gallagher, former assistant director of the OCC and a 15-year veteran of the office, who left over the summer. 

The OCC is short on staff members following the departure of Gallagher, who left the College after accepting the position as region one western Massachusetts director for the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind. There are currently four staff members in the office.

“We are in the process of realigning our staff around the departure of Ron and will post a new position soon,” John Noble, director of the OCC, said. An appointment to this position will be announced in the next two weeks.

The Job and Internship Fair, which provides students with a glimpse of the many employment opportunities awaiting them upon graduation, brought 33 employers from the financial, business, social, and government sectors to the College in search of interested and talented students.

According to Noble, employers present at the fair were drawn from a list of approximately 500 firms and organizations in the private, public and nonprofit sectors. Of the 33 present at the fair, more than half represented firms in the consulting or investment banking industries.

Noble pointed out that this distribution is consistent with job fairs at other colleges nationwide. “Those

are the types of organizations that have an aggressive recruitment strategy … and we probably could have filled the whole fair with companies from those fields,” Noble said.

In addition to 16 consulting and finance firms, including Bain & Company, JPMorgan Chase and Deloitte, educational programs such as Teach for America and Teach for China were prominently represented. Representatives from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Marine Corps were present as well.

As seniors prepare to transition into careers after graduation, so is the OCC working on transitions that were planned last spring.

In February, President Falk announced the integration of the OCC’s staff and resources with Alumni Relations under the guidance of John Malcolm, vice president for alumni relations and development (“Integration planned for Alumni Relations, OCC,” Feb. 9, 2011).

Noble reported that the physical integration of the two offices, which will require the OCC to move from its current location in Weston to the Alumni Relations office in Mears House, has yet to occur due to renovations to the adjacent Mears West.

“At present, we expect the construction to be completed by the end of November [or] early December,” Noble said. “In the meantime, we have been planning a significant reorganization and have already begun collaborating with both Alumni Relations and the development team.”

In light of the increased cooperation between the OCC and Alumni Relations, a new year-long series of events called Career Mentor Weekends was unveiled on Sept. 24 and 25. The first event brought alumni from various fields in education to campus to discuss with students the rewards and difficulties of pursuing a career in the field. There will be five more similarly structured Career Mentor Weekends, with Saturday evening events representing topics of diversity in the workplace and Sunday events focusing on particular career fields.

Noble said that these weekends “represent the great collaboration between the OCC and Alumni Relations, by combining the OCC’s career brunch series with Alumni Relations’ long tradition of the Career Mentor program, which was started in the early ‘80s.”

The second Career Mentor weekend, focusing on careers in science, will take place in November. The remaining four events, scheduled for winter study and the spring semester, are in the planning stages and will have unique themes designed to inform students about careers in a variety of fields.