Men’s tennis stifles MIT 8-1

Men’s tennis topped MIT 8-1 at home on Saturday. The showdown with the Engineers was the team’s final fall-season dual-match.

Felix Sun ’13
Felix Sun ’13 returns a backhand on Saturday. He defeated his Engineer opponent in straight sets. Photo by Todd Brenner.

The Ephs opened well in the doubles. Bryan Chow ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13, winners of last week’s ITA New England Regional doubles tournament, defeated their opponents in the No. 1 spot 8-3. No. 2 doubles team Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 also had a dominating performance, winning 8-2. However, the Engineers were able to take one away from the Ephs, as co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 fell in the third doubles spot with a match score of 8-4, making the score 2-1 heading into singles play.

The men swept singles play, though several matches were hard-fought. “The guys go out and really try to take care of their own court,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “They weren’t distracted by what was going on with other matches, which allowed them to win at [No.] 1 through [No. ] 6.”

Sun found success at No. 1, winning 6-4, 6-2. At No. 2, Meyer defeated his opponent in a close match score of 6-4, 7-5. Micheli, who was the ITA singles runner-up, had a solid performance in the No. 3 spot, taking his match 6-0, 6-4.

Both the No. 4 and No. 5 matches went to three sets, with Chow in the No. 4 spot winning 6-2, 3-6, 6-2, and Dylan Page ’13 in the No. 5 spot taking his match 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-5. “Bryan had an awesome first set, had a lapse in the second, and then rebounded for the third, which is tough to do,” Greenberg said. “Dylan played a solid match throughout and made just a few minor adjustments at the end to win the match tiebreak. So they had very different three-set matches, but both players figured out what they needed to do for the win.”

In the sixth position, Shallcross overcame his Engineer opponent easily with a score of 6-1, 6-0.

“Saturday was a great day for us in singles,” Petrie said. “Bryan and Dylan both came through in tough three-set matches, and the rest of the guys took care of business too. MIT is a dangerous team, but we got on top of them early and managed to keep the momentum going from there.”

The dominating win over MIT was reflective of the team’s exceptional performance thus far this fall. The men won their only other dual-match over Wesleyan 8-1 on Sept. 17. The team as a whole also had a stellar performance at the ITAs. The pair of Sun and Micheli fell to teammates Meyer and Chow in the finals of the doubles tournament; meanwhile, in the singles tournament, Petrie made it to the quarterfinals and Sun fell to Micheli in the semifinals.

“I think the past few weeks have made the guys believe in their ability to be a great team in both singles and doubles,” Greenberg said. “Hopefully that will translate into hard work this winter and an even tougher team this spring.”

The men will travel to Dartmouth this weekend to participate in the Dartmouth Shootout. “The Dartmouth Shootout this weekend is always a fun tournament to play,” Petrie said. “It’s our last event of the fall season [and] we’re looking to get more good matches in and end the season on a high note.” Greenberg concurred, saying, “Dartmouth is a chance for us to get a few more matches under our belt and see what we need to work on heading into the off-season.”