Field hockey drops Springfield, falls to Skidmore

Heading into the week at .500 with four games under its belt, field hockey (3-3, 1-3 in the NESCAC) had their work cut out for them in two non-conference games. On Friday, the women lost a 2-1 heartbreaker to national No. 3 Skidmore. On Sept. 28, the women had a better outcome, defeating Springfield 3-0. 

Emily Jablonski ’14
Emily Jablonski ’14 scored her team-leading fourth goal on Friday, but a last-second score gave Skidmore a 2-1 win. Photo by Sports Information.

On Friday, Williams and Skidmore played a tight game on Renzie Lamb Field.  The game was back-and-forth from the start, with multiple possession changes. Each team had six shots in the first half. Williams took the lead at 11:38, when Emily Jablonski ’14 slipped the ball past Skidmore goalkeeper Haley McDougall off a broken penalty corner. Jablonski’s team-leading fourth goal put the Ephs up 1-0. Neither team scored in the remaining minutes of the half, sending the Ephs to the break with a 1-0 lead.

The Thoroughbreds refused to go down without a fight, coming out with a new surge of energy and dominating the early minutes of the second half. At 43:10, less than 10 minutes into the half, Skidmore tied the game. Kelly Blackhurst scored off a pass from Jackie Slocombe, knotting the game at 1-1.

As regulation play drew to a close, the Thoroughbreds were awarded a penalty corner call, one of 10 total Thoroughbred corners compared to the Ephs’ six. Despite a great effort from the women’s defense, Skidmore’s Sam Skott scored with one second left on the clock.

Skidmore goalkeeper McDougall made two saves in the game, while Williams goalkeeper Ariana Spiliotes ’14 made seven saves to make sure the Ephs were in the game. Both played all 70 minutes.

Despite the disappointing outcome, the Ephs took several important lessons from the last-second loss. “[We] played some of our best field hockey of the season, and elevated our game to a level we’ll strive to beat going forward,” co-captain and starting forward Margie Fulton ’12 said.

On Sept. 28, the women earned a victory against Springfield in a non-conference game. Though the second half was scoreless, the Ephs sealed the win with three goals in the first half of the game. The first, a clean tip from Emily Pavlini ’14, hit the back of the cage just eight minutes into the game off an assist from Fulton.

In the 22nd minute of the first half, forward Caitlin Conlon ’15 scored an unassisted goal. Fulton tallied the final goal just before the half in the 34th minute to put the women up 3-0.

Williams was awarded 14 penalty corners in the game, while Springfield was given seven. Spiliotes earned her first shutout of the season, and the Ephs left the turf with a 3-0 victory.

The women will take on Amherst on Friday at 5 p.m. on Renzie Lamb Field. As the Ephs enter the second half of their season, they are looking to step up their game. “We want to win all of the games we have left, go six-for-six,” Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 said. “We recognize that it won’t be easy, but the team is ready to work hard to accomplish this goal, starting with our game against Amherst.”