Women’s golf conquers field at Mount Holyoke Invitational

Women’s golf earned its second victory of the season as it took first place at the Mount Holyoke Invitational in South Hadley, Mass., last weekend. The women entered play as the defending champions on the course after topping the competition in the fall 2010 season. 

Despite the rain and wet conditions on the course on Day One, the team was able to post a solid 320 to take the top spot on the leaderboard after the first day of competition. On Day Two, the team leveraged its strong play to post a 314. The women’s score on Day Two kept the women in first with a final score of 634 (320-314), allowing them to top second-place Middlebury by 10 strokes. The women ended the invitational 20 strokes ahead of rival Amherst.

Due to the wet conditions of Mount Holyoke’s Orchards Golf Club, the lift, clean and place rule was in effect throughout the weekend. Soggy fairways, thick roughs and slow greens made play difficult, but the women were able to overcome the conditions to post solid scores. The Ephs’ drives had poor distance, as balls were not rolling on the soaked fairways. In addition to short distances on tee shots, the Ephs had to adjust their club choice on approach shots to make sure they hit the ball hard enough to make it to the hole. However, the soft greens allowed the women to attack the flag easily.

“The greens were a lot slower than what we’ve seen at Taconic, so we had to adjust,” Emily Wickstrom ’14 said of the poor conditions last weekend.

Georgiana Salant ’14 was the women’s top scorer on the weekend. The Eph posted an even score of 72 on Day One and carded an 81 on Day Two for a total of 153. Victoria Student ’13 posted in the 70s in both rounds for a two-day total of 157 (79-78). Rookie Shelby Shote ’14 improved on her Day One score by 10 strokes, hitting a two-day total of 162 (86-76). Becky Miller ’13 was also able to cut several strokes off her score on Day Two, posting a 165 (85-79). Wickstrom rounded out the team’s scoring with a 167 (84-83).

Head Coach Erika DeSanty was positive about the women’s performance at the invitational. “Georgi’s 72 allowed us to claim our lead on Saturday,” she said. “Shelby’s 76 lifted us among the competition on Sunday. Victoria’s consistent play through the weekend helped lead us to victory. It was a complete team effort. You cannot win with one great player and one great score. Winning takes all five, and this weekend all five contributed.”

The women will look to claim a third straight victory at the Middlebury Invitational this Saturday and Sunday.