Men’s tennis showcases talent in USTA/ITA regional

Men’s tennis had a successful weekend as it hosted the USTA/ITA New England Regional Tournament. The late rounds saw several Williams intra-squad matches, as  Trey Meyer ’13 and Bryan Chow ’13 took the doubles championship over Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14, and Micheli beat Sun in the semi-final of the singles tournament before falling in the final.

Matt Micheli ’14
Matt Micheli ’14 toppled teammate Felix Sun ’13 to advance to the final round of singles play. Photo courtesy of Todd Brenner.

“It was a very rewarding weekend for us,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “For all of our players to have done so well across the board, in such a tough tournament, says a lot about our team’s progress and potential. And they competed with great attitudes throughout, which makes a big difference.”

In the singles tournament, co-captain Will Petrie ’12 made it to the quarterfinals before falling to Micheli 6-2, 6-4. Micheli then faced Sun, the defending champion and No. 1 seed. Sun had previously had an easy tournament, winning his matches (6-3, 6-3), (6-0, 6-2), (6-3, 6-1) and (6-2,6-1). Micheli proved to be a more formidable opponent, beating Sun 7-6 (3), 6-3. Micheli then fell in the finals to Joey Fritz of Amherst 2-6, 6-0, 6-4.

The Ephs found even greater success in the doubles tournament, where fourth seeded Meyer and Chow defeated Micheli and Sun 8-4 in the final to win the championship. “I think the guys were excited they both made the finals, but it’s never easy to play your teammates in that environment,” Greenberg said. “They’re so close but also so competitive. It makes for an intense hour and a half.”

Sun and Micheli had several hard fought matches before reaching the final match, including their first round match that they won 9-8 (4). Petrie and co-captain Kevin Shallcross ’12 teamed up in the doubles tournament, but unfortunately they were eliminated in the second round by a seeded team from Middlebury, after beating a team from Clark in the first round.

Greenberg was pleased with Micheli’s performance. “I was thrilled for the weekend Matt had,” Greenberg commented. “He had a rough match last Saturday against Wesleyan, but put in a lot of extra work all week, and it paid off. He’s made some adjustments that I think will have significant impact on his college career.” Micheli began the tournament unseeded.

The men will play again on Saturday, as they host MIT at 1 p.m. Greenberg commented on their preparation, saying “We’re going to take the day off, get into the weight room and then get back into playing a lot of sets and doubles work. MIT is a talented team, so we need to make sure we are healthy and sharp for Saturday.”