Field hockey splits against NESCAC foes

Field hockey (3-3, 1-3 in the NESCAC) topped Wesleyan 2-1 on Saturday and fell to Bowdoin 3-1 at home on Sunday. The team also pounded Union for a 5-2 victory on Sept. 20.

On Sunday, the women hosted Bowdoin, the NCAA Div. III defending champions. Bowdoin’s scored three unanswered goals to put the women down 3-0 at the half before they managed to score one goal with less than two minutes remaining in the game. Meera Sivalingam ’12 scored on a penalty corner, assisted by midfielder Emily Jablonski ’14 and Cary Hairfield ’15. However, the women were unable to score again.

Although the Polar Bears controlled the scoreline, the Ephs fought hard throughout the game: Williams had eight shots to Bowdoin’s nine and held the Polar Bears to one shot in the second half. “Although we weren’t happy with the score, I am proud of the way the girls played in the second half,” Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 said. “I would love to see Bowdoin again this season.”

The women faced another NESCAC opponent in Wesleyan on Saturday. The Ephs had to fight their way back from behind to take the game 2-1.

Wesleyan jumped out to an early 1-0 lead that remained through the half. In the second, Margie Fulton ’12 tied the game off an assist from forward Caitlin Conlon ’15 at 44:35. The Ephs struck again when Jablonski crossed a ball to Conlon, and the rookie scored the women’s second and final goal at 52:38 to earn a 2-1 victory. Netminder Ariana Spiliotes ’14 had seven saves.

The women’s game-heavy week began on Sept. 20, when they faced Union in an out-of-league evening game on the road. The Ephs made a statement early in the game when Conlon netted a goal at 6:02 to seize a 1-0 lead. However, just one minute later, the Dutchwomen answered Conlon with a goal of their own to tie the game at 1-1. Jablonski pushed the Ephs back on top with a goal at 10:25. Nicolle Perry ’13 assisted the goal following a broken penalty corner play, giving the women a 2-1 edge. At 20:20, Fulton sent a ball into the Ephs’ offensive circle, and Jablonski tipped the ball into the goal, giving Williams a 3-1 advantage.

The women’s offensive barrage continued in the second half. At 41:32, Casey Greene ’13 connected on a penalty stroke and increased the Ephs’ lead to 4-1. At 65:36, Union’s Ali Flake scored, narrowing the gap to pull within two. However, Haley Ladd-Luthringshauser ’15 netted the final goal of the game at 56:50 to solidify the Ephs’ 5-2 victory.  Spiliotes had four saves in the game.

Barrale was proud of the women’s effort on both sides of the ball in the game. “So many players contributed to [the] win,” she said, “from the four goal-scorers to the solid defense in the back. We played a very complete game.”

The women play tonight at Springfield at 7 p.m. The women will then face Skidmore on Friday at home at 6 p.m.