Men’s tennis trounces Wesleyan

Men’s tennis defeated NESCAC foe Wesleyan on Saturday 8-1, starting their fall competition season on a high note. This was the 85th time that the men have beaten Wesleyan in the history of competition between the two teams.

Matt Micheli ’14
Matt Micheli ’14 teamed up with partner Felix Sun ’13 in the No. 2 doubles position to score an 8-2 win over the Cardinals. Photo by Todd Brenner.

“I thought this was a great start for us,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “For the first match of the year I’m proud of how we competed from start to finish. Definitely a lot to work on, but I felt good that the intensity was there.”

The men started the day with an impressive 3-0 sweep of the doubles matches. Bryan Chow ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13 played the No. 1 spot and defeated their opponents 8-1. In the number two position Felix Sun ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 took down their Cardinal foes 8-2. In the third doubles spot co-captains Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 teamed up to beat their opponents 8-4.

“Wesleyan came out strong, but we stayed steady, worked off some rust and were able to get the 3-0 lead after doubles,” Greenberg said. “In the singles, we didn’t let up. We’ve been playing a lot of points, both singles and doubles, so that helped us transition from practices to the first match of the year.”

While the men did have one close loss in the singles matches, all of the Ephs had strong showings in their matches. Sun, a 2011 All-American, defeated his Cardinal opponent 6-4, 6-3 in the first spot. In the second spot, Meyer overcame his opponent quickly, to win the match 6-2, 6-3. While Micheli was defeated in the No. 3 spot, the match was a hard fought battle that ended very closely with a score of 7-6(2), and 7-5. “His opponent played very well and made very few errors,” Greenberg said. “Matt had moments where he looked sharp, but wasn’t able to maintain it throughout the match.”

The rest of the Ephs found success, with Chow in the No. 4 spot defeating his Cardinal opponent 6-2, 6-1, while Dylan Page ’13 in the fifth position had an equally dominating performance, winning 6-1, 6-0. Shallcross finished out the singles matches in the No. 6 spot, taking his match 6-1, 6-4.

The men will compete again this weekend, as they host the USTA/ITA New England Regional tournament, set for Sept. 23, 24 and 25. “This week we’ll try to play a lot of singles and doubles sets again, especially for the new doubles teams to gel before the weekend,” Greenberg said.