Field hockey falls to Bantams 1-0

Following a 3-2 double overtime victory over Keene State on Sept. 13, field hockey (1-2, 0-2 in the NESCAC) lost its second NESCAC game to Trinity on Saturday in the team’s first home game of the year. After a heated 70 minutes of impressive play between the two teams, Trinity came away with a 1-0 victory in a game that could have gone either way.

Margie Fulton ’12
Co-captain Margie Fulton ’12 took four shots against Trinity. Photo by Emily Calkins.

Trinity’s offense was undeniably dominant in the first half of the game, with 11 shots on goal in addition to 7 penalty corners. Williams was less of an offensive force in the first half; the women took two shots and had only a single penalty corner. Even with the uneven ball possession, the game was scoreless at half time. Eph defenders Nicolle Perry ’13, Sarah Eades ’13 and Casey Greene ’13 were able to break down several of the Bantams’ fast break attempts, while goalkeeper Ariana Spiliotes ’14 made a strong contribution with five saves.

The women went into the second half of the game clearly trying to make up for lost time; early in the half, forward Emily Pavlini ’14 contributed by speedily bringing the ball up the right wing in order to get a shot off immediately at the start of the half. Forwards Caitlin Conlon ’15, Betsy Hart ’14, Emily Jablonski ’14 and co-captain Margie Fulton ’12 each had one or more shots on goal in the half.

About 15 minutes into the second half, Trinity had a breakthrough. A loose ball rebounded off of Spiliotes’ pads and back into the circle, and Bantam Alanna Capasso used her reach to gain possession of the ball and bring it out of the broken play. Capasso got a strong shot off, and the ball found its way past Spiliotes to finally put a tally on the scoreboard. Although the Ephs fought back until the final minutes of the game, they were ultimately unable to break through the Bantams’ defense.

Even with Trinity’s goal, the second half was a much more balanced affair. Both teams had nine shots in the half, and possession was relatively balanced.

Head Coach Alix Barrale ’93 put it succinctly: “We came out flat; it took us a while to get going. When we dig deep, we play at a much higher level. We needed that earlier in the game.”

“We’ve had some great offensive opportunities that we haven’t been able to capitalize on yet, but hopefully we’ll be able to get back into a zone soon,” Fulton said.

The women also played a game on Sept. 13 against Keene State, this one with a more favorable outcome. The game began rather slowly, as the Ephs adjusted to their opponent’s style of play. At 22:33, Sara Thompson ’15 scored the Ephs’ first goal. The goal was answered about four minutes later, when Keene’s Kerry Howe scored to tie the game, and the teams entered the break tied 1-1.

Going into the second half, both teams were ready to fight. Fifteen minutes into the second half, Elizabeth Coffin scored a second goal for the Owls. Greene then tied the score with a flawless penalty stroke taken with about 13 minutes left on the clock, pushing the teams into overtime.

The first 15-minute overtime period was scoreless, but the Ephs managed to come out with a victory in the second overtime when Pavlini assisted Jablonski on a goal.

The Ephs will now look to bounce back following the loss to Trinity. “We have a lot of games coming up that will definitely provide us with some great chances to implement some of the skills we’ve been working hard on in practice,” Fulton said.

Williams will next face Little Three foe Wesleyan at noon on Saturday before taking on Bowdoin, last year’s Div. III National Champions, in Williamstown at noon on Sunday.