Women’s golf prepares to make NCAA run

Women’s golf started gearing up for the fall season this week at the Taconic Golf Club. Back for her third season, Head Coach Erika DeSanty hopes to build on last year’s success to turn out an even stronger record this fall. During the 2010-11 season the Ephs took home four out of five team wins in the fall and two out of three team wins in the spring. The year ended with an 8th place finish at the NCAA Tournament in Howie-in-the-Hills, Florida, and the Coach of the Year for the East Region award for DeSanty.

“One of our main focuses this year as a team is to aim for better results,” DeSanty said. “We need to be able to expect more from ourselves. The experience we gained last year in terms of confidence in winning and the lessons learned from the national tournament will help us greatly this season.” The Ephs plan to continue with their accomplishments and look forward to an improved performance at Nationals in the spring.

Becky Miller ’13, who was named to the All-East Region Team last year, will look to help the team to another NCAA bid.

After losing four players to graduation, the women will welcome four rookies onto their team: Maggie Mitts ’15, Caroline Sawin ’15, Shelby Shote ’15 and Paige Whidbee ’15. All are strong players and have a good chance to break the starting lineup, making this year’s team the deepest it has ever been. “We have more depth this season than we have ever had, and I know it will make a difference,” DeSanty said.

Returning seniors who will contribute as strong team leaders are Grace Gordon ’12 and Izzy Lee ’12. Lee is looking forward to the season ahead: “I truly think we have a great group of talented girls, on and off the golf course, and I’m excited to see how that potential will grow,” she said. “We can achieve so much this season as individuals and more importantly as a cohesive whole.”

Victoria Student ’13, Becky Miller ’13, Georgiana Salant ’14 and Emily Wickstrom ’14 will all make an impact on the team again this year. Last season, Salant and Wickstrom each earned individual medals while Miller was named to the All-East Region Team. Salant joined Miller on the All-East Region Team and was the first female Eph golfer to attain All-American status when she was named a Second Team All-American.

DeSanty added that the key to the team’s cohesiveness and impressive success “has always been the camaraderie. Although this will probably be our most competitive season yet individually among team members, it is important that we don’t lose sight of our support for one another.”

The recent hurricane weather forced Taconic Golf Course to close for a few days, shortening the start of practice, but the Ephs have more recently been able to take advantage of the great weather to practice regularly.“ It is a joy to be back and able to play Taconic,” Student said. “The course is in good shape and it’s great to see the first-years learning the ins and outs. We will definitely be prepared to start the season this weekend.”

The Ephs will open their season Sept. 17 and 18 at the New York University Invitational at Spook Rock Golf Course in Suffern, NY.