Men’s tennis looks to garner 2012 NCAA bid

After an impressive fourth-place finish in the NCAA Div. III National Championship last spring, men’s tennis will look to build on that result with a strong start to their competition season this fall.

Will Petrie '11
Co-captain Will Petrie ’12 will look to lead an experienced squad to a NESCAC title and another NCAA bid after last year’s surprise fourth-place finish in Div. III NCAAs. Courtesy of Todd Brenner, Opinions Editor.

The men finished last season with a notable 17-9 record, and although their fall season is brief, they will face such tough competition as Wesleyan and MIT. “The main goal [this fall] is to keep improving,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “We only have four weekends of competition, but I think we could do well in all of them if we’re focused.”

The Ephs return their entire team, led by co-captains Kevin Shallcross ’12 and Will Petrie ’12. “Kevin and Will were great leaders on and off the court last year,” Greenberg said. “As co-captains, I see them taking their dedication and tennis to another level. It should be a great year for them and their team.” Felix Sun ’13, the men’s No. 1 singles player, who was an All-American last season, returns after finishing last year with a 20-8 record. “Felix definitely wants to maximize his potential in the next two years,” Greenberg said. “He worked on his game this summer and is already showing improvements with his fitness, serve and focus.”

The men also return their No. 1 doubles team of Bryan Chow ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14. Chow and Micheli finished last season with a record of 14-13. “They got better and better throughout the spring,” Greenberg said. “At this point, I’m not sure which doubles teams we’ll put together, but I’d be confident with them as a team or with new partners this fall.” Chow finished last season with a 21-3 match record at No. 5 in singles for the Ephs. Chow also demonstrated his prowess off the court last spring, winning the Elite 88 Award at the NCAA Championship. This award is given to the student-athlete with the highest GPA participating in the NCAA finals.

Greenberg also commented on the new additions to the team. “A handful of new freshmen … already add a ton of personality and good attitude to the team,” he said. “They’re working hard and learning from the upperclassmen and have a lot of potential.”

The men will open their fall season with a home match against Little Three competitor Wesleyan on Saturday at 10:30 a.m., before hosting the USTA/ITA New England Regional from Sept. 23 to 25. The men will close out their fall campaign in early October, hosting MIT on Oct. 1 and then traveling to Dartmouth on the weekend of Oct. 7 for the closing Dartmouth Shootout.