Women’s track slips to 2nd place at NESCACs

Women’s track and field competed in the Div. III New England Championship hosted at MIT on Friday and Saturday. After a tight two-day competition, MIT claimed first with 141.5 points, while Williams took second with 138. “We tried to go about business as usual,” Assistant Coach Mitchell Baker said. “People realized that one point could make the difference and really tried to go for it. It was bittersweet because the team fought so hard and came so close.”

Brooke Johnson ’13 had a standout competition. She hit new personal bests in the long jump and the triple jump, winning both events. Her mark of 5.63 meters in the long jump provisionally qualifies her for Nationals, and her triple jump of 12 meters is an automatic qualifying mark. Karyn Moss ’12 also had a great day. She finished fourth in the long jump and fifth in the triple jump with season PRs of 5.45 and 11.44 meters, respectively. Her triple jump mark is also a national provisional qualifier. In the pole vault, Jenna Adams ’14 cleared 3.70 meters and came in third. In the discus, Amina Avril ’14 and Madeleine Watson ’12 finished in second and seventh with marks of 42.42 and 36.35 meters, respectively. Avril also picked up points for the team in the shot put; she and teammate Eileen Baker ’12 finished in sixth and seventh, respectively. Kathryn Evans ’12 finished ninth in the hammer, and tri-captain Julia Cohan ’11 won a point with an eighth-place throw of 34.90 meters.

Annie Lynch ’14 sprinted a national provisionally qualifying time of 12.20 seconds to finish third in the 100 meter, and she ran a 25.44 to take fifth in the 200 meter. “Watching Annie compete this weekend was one of the highlights for me,” Assistant Coach Joel Williams said. “Everyone was shocked by how fast she ran, but not by how she competed. Annie’s performance was a big spark for the team, seeing a freshman step up to make the final was a pretty big deal.” Hillary Higgs ’12 also competed in the 200 meter, running 25.62 seconds for seventh. In the 800 meter, tri-captain Lizzy Danhakl ’11 came in third in 2:14.37 and Julieanne Fontana ’14 came in 12th with a season-best time of 2:20.72. Rebecca Fine ’13 also ran a season best, finishing in 11th place with a time of 59.42 in the 400 meter.

On Friday, Jen Gossels ’13 and tri-captain Tina Meade ’11 finished in first and fourth, respectively, in the 10,000 meter. Gossels’ time of 35:18.82 is 30 seconds faster than the national automatic qualifying mark. Meade’s time of 36:12.34 is over a minute faster than the provisional qualifier. “I think Jen’s obviously in very good fitness as she had a lot of time to prepare,” Assistant Coach Patrick Wales-Dinan said. “She felt really good out there and locked in at that pace.” On Saturday, Gossels and Meade ran the 5000 meter, finishing first and second with provisionally qualifying times of 17:22.18 and 17:25.88, respectively. Marisa Repka ’14 and Natalie Davis ’12 picked up points for the team in fourth and eighth, respectively. Olivia Delia ’12 also picked up a point for the women by snagging eighth in the 1500 meter. Brianne Mirecki ’14 and Sarah Tory ’11 finished in third and seventh, respectively, in the steeplechase. Their times of 11:04.46 and 11:09.17 both marked provisional national qualifiers.

In the 4×800 relay, Danhakl, Fontana, Mirecki and Fiona Moriarty ’11 improved to 9:17.97, winning the race. The 4×400 of Higgs, Fine, Maya Harakawa ’12 and Amanda Murashige ’14 came in fourth at 3:58.10.

The qualifying women will compete at NEICAAAs on Friday and Saturday at Southern Conn. State.