Viral video comedian proves to be ‘splatter the walls’ sassy

When I first heard the news that YouTube sensation Sassy Gay Friend was coming to the College, I called my three best friends to inform them and to reassure myself through their squeals of jealousy that this was, in fact, a big deal. Brought to campus by Dodd Neighborhood, which is run by president Gershwin Penn ’11, Sassy Gay Friend – also known as Brian Gallivan – performed in Greylock dining hall on Saturday night to a full house; the groups of people lining the walls will attest that it was quite literally packed to capacity. Spoiler alert: This show was as hysterical as Sassy is gay, and while I may not know what “splatter the walls gay” means, I feel like that’s saying something.
Sassy – a nickname given by less-famous counterpart Brian Gallivan (the two were the same person minus a few sartorial flourishes, for those of you keeping track) – jumped onto the stage for his first skit, an extended version of his video “Lady Macbeth.” Sassy made fun of Lady Macbeth for wanting to be Queen of Scotland, saying, “What do they have? Kilts, bagpipes and Gerard Butler … Really? They are all really fun for five minutes and then they’re annoying.” While his one-liners were just as funny as always, the audience was still a little unsure as to how the show would go. How would Sassy Gay Friend make an hour-long show out of YouTube videos we have already seen? It turned out the College community had nothing to fear; Sassy had plenty of tricks to pull out.
Sassy returned to the stage commenting that he loves Williams because “Your school colors are super gay! Yay purple!” His energy was infectious and he soon had the entire crowd wrapped around his finger. One of the best parts of the show, I heard many people agree, was his use of improvisation. Flirting with Penn throughout the show and commenting on the audience’s reactions to his own jokes made every laugh tenfold.
For me, one of the most surprising highlights of the show was Gallivan’s stand-up as himself, not Sassy. Interspersed between Sassy’s skits and talks, Gallivan would come back on stage wearing a light-blue hoodie to talk about his experiences as a homosexual middle school teacher. Talking to fictional middle school characters in the audience, Gallivan came out to his class: “I, Mr. Gallivan, just want to say, I am gay. And that rhymed more than I wanted, making it even more gay.” The reactions of the “students” were hysterical, including, “Have you ever put two wieners together and rubbed them like one big wiener?” The audience was doubled over in laughter. All of Gallivan’s stand-up sessions were equally as funny. He related stories from his past relationships, including his first boyfriend with a sexy Irish brogue. “In that accent he could’ve said, ‘Brian, I’m a serial killer,’ and I wouldn’t have cared,” Gallivan said.
While Gallivan as a comedian was obviously versatile, the return of Sassy to the stage was always met with audience enthusiasm. This time he came out acting as an unconscious Romeo with a despondent Juliet. Before she used the dagger on herself, he woke up and asked her the question we would all like to know: “What, what, what are you doing?!” In another extension of a YouTube skit, Sassy Gay Friend again proved that he was able to solve the problems of damsels in distress throughout history.
The real test of Sassy’s skill came when he took on the relationship problems of College students. While I tried to get called to the stage to have a firsthand experience with Sassy for this article, he refused to pick me because I was in the front row and it seemed “too planned.” (Yes, that was me. Yes, I am bitter.) But the other participants proved to have sufficiently amusing issues for Sassy to comment on. First to the stage was Audrey Kwon ’13 to talk about her relationship dilemma with the coming summer away from her new man. Sassy’s advice? “Write a sad poem in your journal and move on,” and “you gotta get to f***ing.” That’s right, he said it – I don’t know how Kwon felt about his suggestions, but the audience members could hardly contain themselves.
Michael Girouard ’13 was called to the stage next not to talk about his own issues, but to address the issues of a friend, a student at the College who is currently at home dealing with what her friends find to be a bad boyfriend. Sassy called the girl, who had no idea her private life was being discussed in front of a good portion of the student body, to give her his opinion on the matter. Whether she was laughing or sobbing the audience will never know, but it was certainly an interesting phone call.
One of the last skits was an impromptu performance of “Othello” with Alex Wheelock ’13 playing Desdemona. Overall, Gallivan’s performance was stellar. His standup ended with a song and dance about being attracted to younger men (including some past students) that had the entire dining hall in tears, they were laughing so hard. Both Sassy and Brian had unique personalities, and each brought unexpected surprises to a performance I already knew would be one to remember.