Campus remembers Gavin McIntire ’12

Gavin McIntire ’12 passed away last weekend in Miami, Fla., at the age of 20. He is survived by his parents, John and Mary, his brothers, Ross and Colin, and his girlfriend of two years, Rebecca Smith, who attends Scripps College in Claremont, Calif.

Gavin attended St. Luke’s School in New Canaan, Conn., and matriculated at the College in the fall of 2008. He played on the College squash team and enjoyed his work as a writing tutor. Gavin was an economics and Spanish double major, and he was also particularly interested in history. He spent this past fall semester studying abroad in Chile and spent the current semester on leave from the College interning for the Council of Foreign Relations (CFR), working freelance for the online English learning program Open English and learning Portuguese.

Gavin was planning to take classes at Boston University and Harvard over the summer before returning to the College in the fall. He was particularly interested in his Cuban heritage; he was researching recent Cuban economic developments for the CFR and was planning to write his senior thesis on the subject.

“Gavin was more than a friend: He was a confidante, a mentor and a brother,” Zach Evans ’12 said. “I will be forever grateful for his presence in my life, and his fraternal compassion impacted my life immeasurably.”

Gavin will be remembered for his dedication to his friends and his readiness to give a hug, for his infectious smile, his warm laugh and his wonderful sense of humor. He approached his work with a sharp mind and a tireless drive. Gavin was able to touch the lives of many, as he paired a great capacity for love with a genuine interest in the situations of those around him. His enthusiasm for all he did in life filled every room he entered.

“Gavin was my best friend and was one of the most talented, intelligent and compassionate people I knew,” Kelsey Conklin ’12 said. “We had so many plans and ideas for the future; all of his friends and he did. The inability to reach him, the desire to call a phone number that no longer exists, will take me a long time to get over … I only knew Gavin a few years, but I will remember him the rest of my life.”

“It will be difficult to come to terms with the fact that I will not see him again,” Evans said. “But, knowing Gavin, he would want us to smile at his memory rather than cry because he is not here.”

There will be a College service to commemorate Gavin’s life on Sunday in Thompson Memorial Chapel, with the time to be announced. Gavin loved his time at the College; therefore, in lieu of flowers, the family requests that a donation be made to the College in his name. To share remembrances of Gavin with his family, please e-mail mkmcintire@optonline.net. If you would like to reach Smith, please e-mail rebsmith315@gmail.com.

Gavin was a remarkable son, brother, boyfriend and friend. He brought joy to all who knew him. He was loved by too many to count, and he will be forgotten by none.

The writer, Matthew Piltch ’12, is spending his junior year in the Williams-Exeter Programme at Oxford. Matthew was Gavin’s suitemate as a first-year and as a sophomore, and the pair had planned to live together again as seniors. They were the closest of friends.