Men’s crew captures silver at ECAC invite

On Sunday, men’s crew competed in the ECAC National Invitational Collegiate Regatta at Lake Quinsigamond. The men’s 2V boat won gold in its race, while the 1V boat came in a close second to Michigan. The novice eight finished above its seventh seed, closing out its race in fifth place.

The 1V took first in an exciting first heat. The men took a close win with a time of 5:52.41, one second ahead of Marist at 5:53.29 and four seconds ahead of Colby, who pulled in at 5:56.35.

The afternoon’s final allowed the men to take second place. The men started off strong, dominating the other boats, but Michigan rowed stronger and steadily gained on them. The Ephs stayed tough, however, and came in at 5:59.27, just seconds behind the Wolverines at 5:57.43. Bucknell came in third, finishing with a time of 6:01.75.

The 2V boat was second on the water and finished in a commanding first place in its opening heat in 5:59.46, four seconds ahead of Trinity. Trinity finished with at 6:03.62, while Bates came in third at 6:05.50.

The Ephs again took the water first in the Grand Final. The race began with the men down, but by the 500-meter mark, they began to gain speed and were in the lead by the halfway mark. The team finished in a time of 6:06.46, pulling in a boat’s length ahead of second-place Michigan, who finished the race in 6:09.96. Third-place Trinity trailed eight seconds behind Michigan, coming in with a time of 6:17.08. With its first-place finish, the 2V boat claimed the ECAC title, becoming the first Williams 2V boat to do so and the first to have an undefeated season.

“Their eventual record was an astounding 42-0. Pretty amazing and very, very inspiring to all of us this year,” Head Coach Peter Wells said.

The novice eight performed better than expected on Sunday, finishing its first heat with a close second place behind Boston College but failing to make the top three in the afternoon’s final. The Ephs pulled in at 6:03.30, almost level with the Eagles, who finished first in the heat, coming in at 6:02.08. The men posted a four-second advantage over third-place Marist. “The frosh have continued to improve all season and had a tremendous heat advancing to the final and knocking out Marist who was seeded higher than us, finishing … fifth overall of the 18 frosh entries,” Wells said.

In the afternoon’s final, the novice eight came in fifth in 6:16.35, finishing just behind Trinity in fourth. Bucknell took first in a time of 6:12.03, Michigan claimed second in 6:14.41 and Ithaca earned third in 6:14.46. The men’s fifth-place finish improved upon their seventh seed prior to the tournament.

“We have had quite a journey together this year as a men’s team and hopefully will learn from the good and the not so good we encountered and experienced this year in areas both in and out of our control,” Wells said.

On Friday, the men will compete in the Dad Vail Regatta on the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia, Pa., where they will have the opportunity to face Michigan again and have the chance to avenge the 1V loss.