Women’s track conquers NESCAC

This weekend, women’s track and field battled it out at the NESCAC Championship at Wesleyan. Williams scored in every event of the day, winning the meet with 194 points, over 30 points more than second-place Middlebury.

On the track, the Ephs posted several season best performances. Annie Lynch ’14 ran the 100 meter in 12.65 seconds, placing second. Lynch came in third in the 200 meter in a time of 26.22. Both times qualify her for the ECAC championship meet.

“Annie showed great poise and her competitive nature really kicked in this weekend,” Assistant Coach Joel Williams said. “For a rookie to come in and seriously challenge for a NESCAC title, after not being ranked in the top 10 coming in, is a huge achievement. I couldn’t be more proud.”
Maya  Harakawa ’12 came in second in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.70. In the 800 meter, tri-captain Lizzy Danhakl ’11 placed third and Fiona Moriarty ’11 ran to 11th. Earlier in the day,  Danhakl competed in the 1500 meter, along with Brianne Mirecki ’14, Marisa Repka ’14 and Olivia Delia ’12, all of whom ran season best, All-New England qualifying performances and finished in fourth, sixth, seventh and eighth, respectively. In the 3000-meter steeple chase, Sarah Tory ’11 won fifth with her best time of 11:27.01.

Chiara Del Piccolo ’14 hit an NCAA provisional mark in the 10,000 meter, winning in a time of 36:20.06. KK Durante ’11 placed 10th in 40:28.07, a time that qualifies her for ECACs.

The Ephs also boasted season best performances in the field events. Amina Avril ’14 had a successful weekend, placing fourth in the shot put, second in the discus and second in the hammer throw. Avril’s discus throw was an improvement on her previous provisional mark. Kathryn Evans ’12 threw 42.18 meters in the hammer and improved on her Div. III New England qualifying mark. Madeleine Watson ’12 threw 37.43 meters in the discus, qualifying for ECACs. In the pole vault, Jenna Adams ’14 tied for second and Rachel Teitelbaum ’11 finished fourth. Karyn Moss ’12 jumped 11.33 meters in the triple jump to qualify for All-New Englands and claim second place, while Brooke Johnson ’13 finished in third.

Other athletes competed strongly as well. Tri-captain Tina Meade ’11 and Jennifer Gossels ’13 took first and second in the 5000 meter. Johnson and Tanasia Hoffler ’13 placed first and second in the long jump. Tri-captain Julia Cohan ’11 placed third in the javelin, and Marissa Lowe ’14 finished fifth in the 100-meter hurdles.

The team relays  ended the meet. The 4×100 meter relay of Lynch, Hillary Higgs ’12, Lowe and Julie Paschal ’13 finished in third with a time of 49.61. The 4×400 team of Harakawa, Rebecca Fine ’13, Amanda Murashige ’14 and Higgs finished in a time of 4.03.71, placing third and qualifying for ECACs. The 4×800 relay of Moriarty, Repka, Delia and Brianne Mirecki ’14 finished in second with a season best time 9:23.38. “I was impressed with the way [the 4×100] came together – their time was only a little bit shy of the season best,” Williams said. “Marissa Lowe and Julie Paschal came in and had great hand-offs coupled with running great legs … Annie set the tone on the opening leg and Hillary looked like her old self on the second leg. Coming in third was a great way to get the rest of the team pumped up.”

The women will compete again next weekend in the Div. III New England meet at MIT.