Women’s lax falls in NESCAC quarters

Women’s lacrosse (8-9, 3-6 in the NESCAC) fell to Trinity on Saturday in the NESCAC quarterfinals. Trinity dropped the women by a score of 15-6. The team began its playoff run after falling to Middlebury on Friday.

The women claimed fewer turnovers and more successful draw controls than Trinity. The Bantams scored their first goal three minutes into the game, but Meera Sivalingam ’12 responded two minutes later off an assist from co-captain Anne Marie Burke ’11. Sivalingam’s goal evened the score at one. The Bantams then went on a five-goal streak to close the half up 6-1. Their second goal was scored after nine minutes with goals following at 17:54, 11:44, 2:32 and 1:58. Despite efforts from Kaitlin Ellis ’12 and Lacey Hankin ’14, both of whom caused turnovers, and co-captain Julia Schreiber ’11, who recorded five saves, Trinity closed the half with a 6-1 lead.

The Ephs came out strong in the second half, with Margie Fulton ’12 notching an unassisted goal two minutes in. Ellis followed suit with an unassisted goal two minutes later at 26:01 to make the score 6-3. Burke scored a fourth goal for Williams at 25:27, narrowing the gap to 6-4. Trinity managed another goal to increase its lead to 7-4, but the women responded with a goal from Fulton, assisted by Emily Jablonski ’14, at 12:31.

The Ephs still trailed 7-5 with 20 minutes remaining in the game. Trinity fired yet again, bringing its tally to eight before Fulton shoveled in her third and final goal. Trinity scored again, bringing the score to 9-6. Trinity’s offense took control from there, dominating ball control and taking twice as many shots as Williams in the final half. In the final 10 minutes of the game, the Bantams scored six unanswered goals. This run brought the Ephs’ season to an end, as the Bantams took the game by a final score of 16-5.

“We didn’t have a good first half, [and] that’s a pretty big hole to get out of,” Head Coach Chris Mason said. “We played well in the beginning of the second and eventually they started stalling.”

On Friday, the women ended their regular season at home against Middlebury. The game was one of the team’s tightest, but the women ultimately lost 11-10. The Panthers came out strong in the opening minutes of the first half, scoring three consecutive goals before the Ephs were able to get on the scoreboard. Katie Pettengill ’13 retaliated 14 minutes into play, bringing the score to 3-1 in Middlebury’s favor. Middlebury answered with a goal three minutes later to maintain their lead. Off a won draw control by Emily Whicker ’13, Jablonski passed to Ellis for a goal at 26:43 for a 4-2 tally. Middlebury fired two more past Schreiber before Burke passed to Fulton for the final goal of the half with less than a minute remaining. Williams trailed 6-3 at the half.

Middlebury dominated the opening minutes of the second half, scoring in the initial two minutes of play. The Panthers had another run three minutes later, which brought their lead to 8-3. Fulton’s second goal brought the score to 8-4 with 23:04 left. Middlebury retorted with two unanswered goals, expanding its lead to 10-4 with 20 minutes left. Fulton helped Pettengill to her second goal with 20:10 left. Middlebury quickly fired back and brought the score to 11-5.

The women then went on a five-goal streak. Netted shots from Pettingill, Ellis, Jablonski, Stephanie Gallo ’14 and Whicker contributed to the Ephs’ rally, but their efforts were not enough: Williams remained down 11-10. Middlebury maintained possession and refrained from making bold plays in the final minutes of the game. The Panthers held the ball for the rest of the game, and the Ephs were unable to regain control.

The Ephs graduate two seniors: Burke and Schreiber. “Both seniors played a fantastic final game,” Mason said. “They gave 100 percent; they are both talented players.”