Men’s tennis surges past Bates

Men’s tennis (12-6, 5-2 in the NESCAC) had a successful week, defeating Bates 7-2 on Saturday after dominating Trinity 8-1 on Wednesday. The match against Bates signified the end of the team’s regular season.

“It’s good to go into the post-season with confidence,” Head Coach Dan Greenberg ’08 said. “I think these last two matches showed our depth in singles and strength in doubles.”

The men went 2-1 in the doubles against Bates, putting them in a good position going into the singles matches. Felix Sun ’13 and Trey Meyer ’13 found success in the number two spot, defeating their Bobcat opponents 8-1, and captain Will Petrie ’12 and Kevin Shallcross ’12 were successful in the third position, garnering an 8-5 win. Bryan Chow ’13 and Matt Micheli ’14 could not overcome their opponents in the first spot: The two Ephs fought hard but fell 8-6.

The Ephs were successful in the singles competition, winning all but one match. Two of the men took home wins in three-set matches. Micheli vanquished his opponent 6-0, 4-6, 6-2 in the first position, though Meyer fell in the third slot, succumbing to his Bobcat rival 6-2, 4-6, 10-8. Sun had a hard first set, barely scraping out a win at 7-6, but he easily beat his opponent 6-1 in the second set. Zach Weiss ’13 in the fourth spot and Chow in the fifth spot were both dominant in their performances. The Ephs won their matches 6-1, 6-2 and 6-0, 6-2, respectively.

“[Numbers] three through six of our lineup were very sharp and clinched the overall match, and I was also proud of Matt and Felix for closing out their matches convincingly in the final sets,” Greenberg said. “Trey also bounced back in the second, which was important for the team’s momentum.”

On Wednesday, the men bested Trinity 8-1. The Ephs swept the doubles matches, with Chow and Micheli at No. 1 winning 8-1, Sun and Meyer in the second position overcoming the Bantams 8-6 and Petrie and Shallcross claiming an 8-3 victory in the third position.

Sun once again found success in the number one singles spot, although his Bantam opponent put up a solid fight to challenge the Ephs’ top singles player. Sun eventually won 7-5, 7-5. “Felix played very consistently … he played a tough opponent, so they had lots of long points, but Felix eventually outlasted him,” Greenberg said.

Micheli fell in the second spot 6-3, 6-4. Ephs Meyer, Weiss and Dylan Page ’13 cruised to easy victories, with Meyer dismissing his opponent 6-3, 6-0 at the No. 3 spot, Weiss in the fourth spot winning 6-4, 6-2 and Page garnering a 6-1, 6-4 result in his favor in the sixth slot. Chow fought hard in the fifth position to win in three sets, 6-2, 3-6, 10-6.

The Ephs start post-season play this weekend at the NESCAC tournament. The men will travel to Middlebury on Friday in search of a NESCAC championship.

“We’ll keep working hard in practice, taking care of schoolwork and try to go into the weekend feeling good,” Greenberg said.