Admissions to yield over 45% for Class of 2015

Deposits continue to come in for the Class of 2015, but as of Tuesday, 541 students out of the 1201 admitted had indicated their intention to matriculate at the College next fall, resulting in a current yield of 45 percent. For the Class of 2014, 549 students in total enrolled out 1202 admitted for a yield of 49.8 percent. However, the current number of 541, and thus the final yield percentage, is expected to increase.

“We’re about 30 [deposits] ahead of where we were last year on the same date,” Director of Admission Dick Nesbitt said. He added that on Monday, one day after the deposit deadline, 67 deposits came in, and another 15 or so deposits came in on Tuesday.

Additionally, five students were granted one-week extensions for sending in their deposits for financial aid reasons.

The target class size is 550 students. “If we come within four or five of the target, we’re doing pretty well, because we close the books on the class by June 30,” Nesbitt said. “It’s hard to be exact when you’re trying to manage enrollment.” He added that as of now, it appears that the College is “going to be right on target, almost exactly where we want to be.”

“Summer meltback” is another factor that must be taken into account when looking at enrollment numbers, according to Nesbitt. “Summer melt includes students that withdraw for any number of reasons,” he said. “For example, they could decide to postpone for a year – last year we had 16 students [who] postponed. Additionally, some students might come off of [another school’s] waitlist.”

For these reasons, the College looks to “build a little bit of a cushion,” according to Nesbitt. The admission office aims to have around 560 or 565 enrolled students before the summer months, as it “usually melts back by about 15 [students],” Nesbitt said.

One student has thus far postponed enrollment for a year, and Nesbitt said he expects another 14 or 15 students to do so. Nesbitt said it is harder to gauge the number of students who will melt back due to getting off another school’s waitlist. “If other schools do go to their waitlists, I think we’ll have a nice cushion to absorb that,” he said, adding that right now the College does not know how other colleges are going to deal with their own waitlists.

As to whether the College will have to go to its own waitlist, Nesbitt said, “We have to put the waitlist on hold right now until we’re sure that we’ve heard back from [all of the accepted students].” He said that if the College does look to its waitlist, it would be for a small number of students. Last year, about 35 students were removed from the waitlist. “This year, unless we see erosion we haven’t seen in past years, I would suspect we wouldn’t see more than 10 [students get off of the waitlist],” he said.

“There is still the off chance that [the Class of 2015] could be a big class,” Nesbitt said, “that we could get more returns than 565 or we don’t get the melt we thought we were going to get. But right now, I think we’re comfortable where we are. In fact, I’m thrilled with where we are.”

Of the 541 students enrolled this far, 51 percent are female and 49 percent are male. This ratio is exactly the same as that of admitted students this year. However, the total applicant pool for the Class of 2015 was comprised of 54 percent females and 46 percent males.
Out of the students enrolled so far, 37 percent are American students of color, a number with which Nesbitt expressed much satisfaction. Currently, 72 matriculants are Asian American, 67 are African American, 50 are Latino and six are Native American.

Nesbitt said it is still too early to comment on legacies, athletic tips and students on financial aid.

There are 37 non-U.S. citizens enrolled in the Class of 2015 thus far, for a total of seven percent. This is higher than the six percent of the Classes of 2013 and 2014 that are registered as international students, but lower than the 8.6 percent of the Class of 2012. The yield for international students was 39 percent this year.